Floyd Rose and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd Rose and ME?

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
      Here's a tip: How to quickly change a string and get back in tune if you break one during a gig:

Before the gig: Leave the trem cavity uncovered. Keep the right Floyd bar around even if you don't use it. Carry strings with the ball end cut off -AND- carry a wire cutter. Carry the correct hex wrenches and a string winder. Carry a block of wood cut to the right thickness so that that when placed between the trem block and trem cavity wall (under the strings), it keeps the Floyd parallel to the body.

After you break a string: Dive the bar and place the block of wood between the trem block and the trem cavity wall (under the springs). Now all your unbroken strings must be (at least roughly) back in tune. Loosen the Floyd locking nut only for the string that's broken (and of course the one next to it). Install the new string. Tune. Hold down string at first fret. Stretch new string. Tune gain. Repeat this a few times until tuning becomes stable. Dive the Floyd and remove the block of wood. Check that all strings are still in tune. Use fine tuners on Floyd if necessary. Tighten locking nut.

This will work as long as the new string is the same gauge (and arguably the same brand and type) as the broken one.

One additional trick to speed up string change is to install locking tuners such as Schaller or Sperzel in addition (preferred) or instead of the locking nut. This will help wind the string faster.
      Better yet, just bring more than one axe to the show! Big rigs look cool anyway, and there's still a lot of people who like to SEE as much of a show as they hear...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
        It's going to be sept 25th at 7. at Villa Park.
        I'll see what I can do about being there. Traffic permitting. If you want to chat about floyds or need examples, send me a message, I'll see what I can do.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Floyd Rose and ME?

he needs fine tuning
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

FYI for those in the area. The Floyd clinic is tomorrow night. At GC villa Park. at 7. Providing people actually show up.. lol
            Gil

Comment

I'd love to go but it's my turn to put the kids to bed this week. My wife is taking my 12 yr old to volleyball practice this week. Let me know if you decide to repeat this session.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                Floyd Rose and ME?

That's a great pic! Floyd has a "please don't take my wallet" look about him here.

Edit: I just realized your in A# Music, I live right up the street from there. Great shop.
                Last edited by Charvel Sixx; 09-25-2007, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Well onlly one person showed up. And he works with me. LOL nice. Stupid people. Well at least i got paid. Although I discovered my Franky has a trem issue. The wood split at the pup cavity and the post moved foward. ARRGGGGgggggg. Now I have to bring it too the tech at work to get it looked at. I wonder what this is gonna coat me? Sonofabitch. Now i know why i was having intonation issues with it. Stupid Fender. lol
                  Gil

Comment

Stupid off-topic question, but does the band's name Pink Floyd have anything to do with Floyd Rose? Maybe the band chose their name after the trem inventor, or Mr. Rose was such a fan of PF that he changed his name.... ?
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Nope. Floyd D Rose was born Floyd D Rose. and Pink Floyd. Well i think i heard something about floyd being one of the members teachers name or something. And pink well its just a color. Or as Pink Floyd would say Colour.
                      Im probably wrong on that though. Besides Floyd was out in the 60's and the Floyd Rose wasnt invented till the mid 70's.

Comment

Pink Floyd is named after blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                          Well onlly one person showed up. And he works with me. LOL nice. Stupid people. Well at least i got paid.
                          Sorry man. Yesterday was a very long day at work. The last thing I wanted to do was to rush home, jump in the car, and sit in traffic heading out to the suburbs. I would have gone absolutely directory on someone.

Unfortunately it's the state of the guitar world... I see a lot more non-trem and v-trem guitars than I do Floyded guitars anymore.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

To bad JACKSONFREAK,
                            Everyone's loss in your area.

Comment

There may be another Floyd clinic. I'll let ya know if and when.

Comment

Working...
                              X