Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG 81/85 is the norm... what will a 81/89 sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
    I think you have to have separate volume knobs if you run with a 89. I could be wrong.
    Your right...its got 3 knobs on it

Comment

You don't necessarily need 2 volume controls. The two volume controls are possibly for the bridge and neck pickups. You will however need a switch to select the dual coil output or the single coil output (a push/pull volume control that houses this switch comes with the EMG 89).

See:

http://symian.com/EMGFAQ.html#Wires

and

http://symian.com/WB89.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        I think you have to have separate volume knobs if you run with a 89. I could be wrong.
        No, you can use one volume knob with no issues. The only thing different is that to use the 89s coil splitting / single coil function you need a push pull pot, which EMG provides. Or you can use a separate DPST switch. Or of course you can hardwire it to use only one of the modes (I´ve actually seen this done as factory work on some older EPSs, likely a result of either a last minute spec change or a shortage of 85s).

I love the 18V 89/SA/SA setup in my Soloist, especially the bridge and neck single coils together

Comment

I have an EMG 89 on a 12 string neck and it sounds awesome coil tapped.
          Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I also prefer EMGs with 18V on them (two 9V batteries).

Comment

My last Demon project had the 81/89 combo and I loved it. With the coil tapping abilities of the 89, it's probably the most versatile guitar I own. It can literally sound like anything (well...almost!). Of course, it does have a bridge on it now.

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hey Robert,
                I have this set up 81 bridge 89 neck in my 86 Kramer Pacer Carrea and have used it since 89.
                I used two volume controls and one master tone (the tone that I never use as it sounds better to me with the toe all the way up) in it since I already had a three knob I three way switch lay out form the factory.
                The paper work that came with the 89 pickup showed how to wire the push / pull pot to select the 89 from single SA sound to the humbucker 85 sound these pickups have a coper logo by the way.
                You have several switch options to use to select all of the pickup options.
                Let us know what you deside on.
                Last edited by Jackson/Charvelfan; 09-25-2007, 09:02 PM.

Comment

That's kinda cheap about EMG's, not having both leads for each coil.

In my opinion all decent to good quality humbuckers should have the coil split leads. I've disassembled a few cheap pickups to add them, in most cases it works & sounds great.
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                  X