No announcement yet.

Neck slightly back bowed - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neck slightly back bowed - what to do?

Originally posted by A.Pulverizer:
    Has anyone ever heard of the heat being an issue with the glue between the fretboard and the neck?
    I had it done once and it wasn't a problem.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go with that. If you had good experience with that method, stick with it.

I took my aforementioned scalloped Strat to ALL major guitar techs in my town and the guy i liked/trust the most (after a long talk) was positive about the dry heat press method as long as the fretboard is glued to the neck, preferably using two different types of wood - like maple neck / rosewood board. The worst result is no effect, so nothing's ruined. We found out that my neck is a one piece maple neck, so no glue and therefore a heat press treatment has no effect.

My neck has a very tiny back bow even with the truss rod fully loosened, so the tech is considering leveling the frets in needed areas. He'll put the neck in a bench, adjust the truss rod to a little more back bow, and then level the frets. That way, when loosening the truss again and stringing it up, the neck will have a straight playing area + hopefully a tiny "relief" put back into it, so i can use the truss later if needed.
    The frets are huge so there's plenty of material to work with.

The reason I ask is that I just got off the phone witht a guy and he said he didn't like to use the heat press because of said issue.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

What issues?

He said that he wanted to do a refret and somehow fix the back bow taht way???
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Ask him how that works in detail. I'd sure like to know. Maybe he's just puttin' big frets on so that he can reshape the neck straight by leveling the frets.

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Ok. I had a very stubborn neck.
      I strung it with 12s and let it sit for a week-nothing.
      I put a long round punch under the 5th fret like yoga suggested and...nothing
      I tried it at the 7th fret and it came back to flat after 1 week, but it didn't move anymore in the following 2 weeks.
      [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] So, I threw a 150 Watt halogen trouble light shining right down on the punch (7th fret), from about 4" away.
      2 8 hour sessions later, it was where I wanted it.
      5/8 of a turn on the truss rod and it plays just like it used to.
      Just thought I would share. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Pulver for letting us know. Interesting fix!

/Henrik
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
        X