Sealed tuners- how to........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sealed tuners- how to........

Now I got you. The string post wobbles not the tuner key post.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Okay, that's what I thought you were talking about. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Make sure the nut is tightened down a little more so it won't wobble as much. It still might wobble a little without a string on it, but when it's strung up it shouldn't.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When my nuts wobble, I put tighter pants on. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Seriously, try what toejam said.

Comment

I'm going to take one apart, just to prove it can be done. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Hey, Zeeg, when you cut your nut open use a newly sharpened scapel to avoid rough laceration. I once had my nads scraped up while snorkeling over a shallow coral reef. Trust me, I wish the blades had been sharper.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
              I'm going to take one apart, just to prove it can be done. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">if you find a way to put it back together, let me know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              i can understand this problem
              even (as mentioned above) if the strings are on tuners will sit tight, i sometimes thought "i dont like them wobbling at all"
              best luck

Comment

Thanks, Zeeg. Just count your fingers when you're done.

Comment

Don't worry, I have a bench vise. I won't hurt myself. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                    Don't worry, I have a bench vise. I won't hurt myself. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Zeeg, I got a 5 pound sledge and a chisle if ya need to borrow them. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting Or maybe they just pop out.

Comment

Most of the time, it is just play in the post. Usually, tightening the screw will do nothing. That said, if you are hell bent on taking it apart, go for it.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I forgot all about this until just now.

I did like I said I would, and I took one apart. I had an old Grover with a broken shaft, so it didn't matter if I ruined it. It was actually very easy to dismantle.

1. Clamp the tuner into a bench vise with the rear cover facing up. If you don't have wood jaw pads, use a couple of rags between the vise and the tuner so you don't scratch it.

2. Take a 1/4" socket driver, and place it against the tuner cover at a slight angle. Tap it lightly with a hammer, or whatever you have handy. Again you might want to cover the end of the socket with a soft cloth to prevent scratches or dents. The round cover will go down on one side, and pop up on the opposite side.

3. Once you've got the cover off, the rest is even easier. There is a screw underneath the cover that holds the gear on the shaft. Unscrew it, and the shaft pulls out. I believe it might be a tapered shaft, so you might have to tap it with a punch to separate them.

4. Then, pull out the tuning button shaft.

5. After greasing everything back up, and reassembling, the cover will just pop back on with a gentle tap. If it doesn't feel tight, you could probably use some crazy glue to ensure you don't lose it.

...and I didn't hurt myself in any way. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Zeeg: My hero. For all those naysayers and d-tuners, I say,"Bushwa". Good vintage tuners"Can" be refurbished. Thanks for your determination. (I guess you showed those little bastards!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
                              Zeeg: My hero. For all those naysayers and d-tuners, I say,"Bushwa". Good vintage tuners"Can" be refurbished. Thanks for your determination. (I guess you showed those little bastards!!!"
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL no problem. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Did you try it?

Comment

Glad to see your persistence paid off. And actually, this is something I am going to try. I recently replaced the chrome 3x3 tuners on a surfcaster with black ones. I had 2 sets of black (one reg, one reverse) to get the proper mounting tab thing going. The only issue I have is that the Jackson logo on one set is white, and on the other, it's more of a gray. You can definitely see the difference. Not a big deal, but if I can swap the little disc backs on em, I'm gonna do it!
                                Just need a bigger hammer......

Comment

Working...
                                X