Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics as promised!! Added binding to the necks and headstocks of two of my guitars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pics as promised!! Added binding to the necks and headstocks of two of my guitars!

anyone got pics of ebonized rosewood ? how big is the difference between this and ebony in looks ?

Comment

Re: Pics as promised!! Added binding to the necks and headstocks of two of my guitars!

Great job!

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
      I'm sure you can find it at an automotive store (like Autozone, perhaps) but I found mine at Canadian Tire.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">God I miss that fucking store! There's nothing like it here in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead:
        anyone got pics of ebonized rosewood ? how big is the difference between this and ebony in looks ?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">mm2002 does. WarriorX7 might.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey skarhead, I just dug out a pic of the Model 4 that mm2002 ebonized:

Looks good to me!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] That looks better than I expected. It looks very uniform and consistent. Time for me to get busy with the vinegar and steel wool. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
              Anybody got a pic of a Kelly shape with body binding or pinstriping? I've got plenty of tape left over and I'm thinking of adding the body trim as well.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here you go...

Note, however, that bound Kellys have flat-top bodies. i.e., There are no bevels on the top side of the body. I suspect that, otherwise, applying the binding is more difficult. Also, it's probably a little less distinctive looking, as the binding isn't on the very top edge of the side of the body.

Comment

Looks good on the headstock...Doesn't really do anything for me on the fretboard however as I like to see neck binding when looking at the front of a guitar, and that doesn't work with the tape as it isn't thick enough nor can you really 'cross it over' onto the fretboard without hitting frets and messing up your tape job...I wonder if anyone has the patience to try and do a tape job where it folds over onto the fretboard and use an Exacto to cut out space for the fret ends? Let's go with no. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by John D.:
                  On the Ibanez's headstock, it looks like you had to make a small cut near the tip of the headstock. Was that to make the tape follow the curve and not "pooch out"? Regardless, your taping skills look to be very advanced. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haha, it was my first attempt. I'll charge a small fee if any of you guys want me to add this cheap-ass binding onto any of your guitars. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Thanks for the compliment... I tried to be as careful and meticulous as possible. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Yeah, I had to cut the top as you noticed. You're actually the first to notice that. I'm thinking of cutting out a small "wedge" shape with new tape and inserting it in there and make it as seamless as possible if I can. I'm lazy though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

DumpyWumpy, the process you're describing is probably pretty difficult. It will look awesome though and will give the appearance of "binding over frets". I'll try that on one of my acoustic guitars to see if it can be done. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP: nice job on the "binding". I think it really adds some extra class to the axes, especially the Jackson. On the Ibanez's headstock, it looks like you had to make a small cut near the tip of the headstock. Was that to make the tape follow the curve and not "pooch out"? Regardless, your taping skills look to be very advanced. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                    X