Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics as promised!! Added binding to the necks and headstocks of two of my guitars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pics as promised!! Added binding to the necks and headstocks of two of my guitars!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oops! Ya got me!! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I assumed he was punching a 1/8 hole in the white pinstripe so that he could insert the 1/8 black circle into it. My fault! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Pics as promised!! Added binding to the necks and headstocks of two of my guitars!

That looks amazing! How durable is it (i.e., do you have to re-tape it, and if so, about how frequently)?

Comment

I did this to one of my Icemans that didn't have binding, and I went over it with some clear fingernail polish, slightly over the ends of the tape, to keep it from lifting. It's been like that for about a year now, under pretty heavy use, and hasn't peeled off anywhere. Raid your girlfriends' nail polish and steal the clear! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

how durable is such binding ?

if sides of my fingerboard are covered with some kind of clearcoat will it work ? ( i mean not slip out ? )

on the third ibanez pic isn't it possible to still see sides of the rosewood fretboard?

Comment

As Subvamp mentions, this tape binding is very durable. I haven't had any issues with lifting or anything. I've put it on about 30 of my guitars so far, ones with rosewood boards, maple boards, over glossy clearcoat, over no clearcoat, etc, all with no problem.

The 1/8" tape is not as wide as the normal fingerboard 'slab', so you'll usually see a little of the side of the fretboard material. On a rosewood fingerboard, I usually align the tape with the line formed by the mating of the fingerboard and maple neck, so it would appear similar to a normal plastic binding applied by the factory.

I'll try to take a few pics of mine with the black stick-on dots tonight and post.

FYI, you know how USA Jackson boards have those nice large bright white dots that are easy to see? Well, using the same 1/8" hole punch and white vinyl label material, I put the larger white dots on some of my non-Jackson guitars so I could better see the dots in the dark clubs.

Comment

I shall chime in here too. The tape seems really durable even without clearcoat over it. It's very thin so there's very little chance of accidentally scraping and lifting it. The instructions recommend that you should wait 24 hours for the full bonding effect to happen. I am assuming the the addition of the tape is permanent, and if you try to lift it, you'll have an afternoon filled with the enjoyable activity of trying to remove the glue.

Yeah, the fretboards are 3/16 inch, and the tape I bought is 1/8 inch (2/16ths inch). So, there was 1/16 inch of rosewood board that remained on my RG560, and I didn't feel like doing another parallel stripe down the neck. This is what Skarhead noticed about my pictures. On the Kelly, however, I've got two parallel stripes sitting right next to each other running down the neck, and the result is thick-ass binding. You can see how much wider the binding is on the Kelly neck than on the RG neck in my photos. I'm thinking of trimming my acoustic guitar necks and headstocks the same way.

Nice Iceman, Subvamp! The body binding looks KILLER! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And I guess if I wanted to protect my sharpie marker dots, I could put clearcoat over the neck binding, but sharpies are permanent markers and it's always easy to reapply anyways. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the compliment buddy! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] It would look really cool doing that body binding on your Kelly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] By the way, about it being durable, just think, it's AUTO pinstriping. That stuff dosen't peel off your car, and it sits in the rain, snow, screamin' summer heat, etc.

Comment

I'm sorry but I hate pinstripe tape on a car, on a guitar it's even worse!!! How can anybody do that shit and think that it looks good??? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I don't really mind it on cars, but I thought I'd try it on my guitars after some talk on the JCF. I thought I might as well try, considering I'd never be able to sell these guitars anyway. I was pretty satisfied with the way they turned out.

Different strokes for different folks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                      I'm sorry but I hate pinstripe tape on a car, on a guitar it's even worse!!! How can anybody do that shit and think that it looks good??? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you serious, dude? NOTP's just using a low-cost method to make his axes look better. Exactly like *your* low-cost "ebonizing" method... makes YOUR axes look better, right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks Ron. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And I also do plan to ebonize my rosewood boards later on, but freaking Stew-Mac doesn't export ebony dye out of the country because they say it's flammable last time I checked my catalog. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, you can easily make your own!

WarriorX7 and mm2002 have used the home-grown method with good results. This is the steel wool in vinegar solution; there may be a thread in Tech Q & A.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Oh yeah! I remember the thread(s) now. There was also the idea of mixing lemon oil with black printer ink from a black cartridge. I think I'll try the vinegar and steel wool one. I don't really want to tamper with extracting ink from a full cartridge. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Absolutely true! Although, I'm still not sure why the instructions said not to apply the tape in direct sunlight. Perhaps the sunlight warms up the tape and warps it or melts the glue all over your car or something. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And I still have to find a picture of a Kelly with cool body binding. I just don't want to trim the basic body outline. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Rhoads classic pinstripes, except tailored towards the Kelly shape.

Comment

Hey, man, it looks cool! The only question I have is it removable, in case you decided to bring the guitars to their original look? I guess there shouldn't be a problem.
                                If you like it, keep it. Whining is for grandmas [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X