Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting used to and the benefits of jumbo frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting used to and the benefits of jumbo frets?

I can't stand playing a guitar that doesn't have jumbo frets... The smaller the frets, the more string pressure I seem to have to use...

Easier to do pinky harmonic bends... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have guitars with both jumbos and smaller sized frets. I play equally as well with both. I think it's just a matter of preference and getting used to the frets.

Comment

I recently got a jumbo fretted guitar and found absolutely no difficulty adopting to it from my medium frets. In fact, it's so much easier and buzz-free (imo) with larger frets.

What can be worse than wide low profile frets?
        -Thin low profile frets [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

With jumbo frets, you can do lots of cool phrasing and tone stuff. I think Lynch did it best.

Comment

I recently acquired a couple of Tom Andersons after years of Fender & Warmoth guitars - his frets are HUGE and the only frets he will put in his stock guitars...they felt wierd for about a day - now anything else feels lame...I've played a few pre-pro San Dimas' since and the transition actually feels easier than when I was playing just my Fender Strats...I'm converted now.

Steve E

Comment

If my memory serves me well Satriani has THREE different sizes of frets on his guitars. I'll try to find the link and post it here.

Comment

OK, there you have it:
                http://www.satriani.com/2000/about/gear/
                Just click on Frets and fingerboard.
                I wonder if Jackson CS would do that if a 'regular' customer wanted it?

Comment

Originally posted by metafaza:
                  OK, there you have it:
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, it mentions three different sizes of frets, but that's on three different guitars and not on the same one.
                  Jake E. Lee actually had his signature ESP Strats made with jumbos for frets 1-12 and smaller frets for 13-22. He also had a 24.75" scale length on them.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by 86mod5:
                    I have guitars with both jumbos and smaller sized frets. I play equally as well with both. I think it's just a matter of preference and getting used to the frets.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here. Though, I think I seem to prefer the smaller frets most of the time now.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

All I've ever played was low-wid and medium for years. Got my first guitar with Jumbos on about 2 weeks ago. I'll never buy another guitar without Jumbo's again. Now I can play both equally well but can tell a difference in my fingers. I can bend for days before my fingers wear out on the jumbos. I never knew there was a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by metafaza:
                        OK, there you have it:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, it mentions three different sizes of frets, but that's on three different guitars and not on the same one.
                        Jake E. Lee actually had his signature ESP Strats made with jumbos for frets 1-12 and smaller frets for 13-22. He also had a 24.75" scale length on them.
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right. I must have overlooked it somehow. Stupid of me [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Comment

If you are pressing really hard with jumbo frets, you are probably tending to pull the strings sharp in pitch. As you noted in your original post, the jumbo frets kind of make you feel like you are using a scalloped fingerboard. So in a way, that's part of the benefit, in that you don't have to press down so hard or press all the way down to the fingerboard. Also, a jumbo fret with a good crown can lead to better-sounding intonation.
                          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                          X