No announcement yet.

Neck-thru/Bolt-on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer the bolt-ons personally because neckthrus tend to have painted necks. Also if there are any negative changes to the neckthrus, it's much harder to fix the action--while with the boltons there are more options to shimming the neck pocket angle etc.

As to the sustain debate, we are mostly rock and metal players, who sustains notes for 5 minutes anymore?

George

Comment

Originally posted by AimingHigh View Post
      I prefer the bolt-ons personally because neckthrus tend to have painted necks. Also if there are any negative changes to the neckthrus, it's much harder to fix the action--while with the boltons there are more options to shimming the neck pocket angle etc.

As to the sustain debate, we are mostly rock and metal players, who sustains notes for 5 minutes anymore?

George
      Well said

Comment

My neck-thru kelly doesn't sustain "that" much and I'm proud of that

This discussion is just like Jackson vs Esp or Ibanez. Nearly everybody wants what he uses to be superior so although people do not need that much sustain anymore, they can state it as an advantage of the build type they are using I think playability and feel should be the deciding point..
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Like I said earlier... it's a preference thing.
          Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

Buy/build what YOU like.
          I like that stink, though. Oh sorry, wrong forum.
          "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

I just like to hang out in "neckthrough lover" forums because I know there won't be many Fender fanboyz around (they make the hair on the back of my neck stand up)

Comment

My $0.02 about the neckthrough/bolt-on thing: if a bolt-on is constructed in a way that doesn't interfere with my playing (ibanez style rounded heel for ex.) then i usually have no problem with it.

Unless you are playing acoustically or drastically low I doubt seriously that you would notice THAT much ...
              .... much less your audience, be it live or on a recording.

8) No neck plate to interfere with strap button placement
              How about drilling a hole through the neck plate? I did this on a project Rhoads i build a few years ago and the balance was perfect.

Another idea i've seen, though it compromises some depth of the top left screw into the neck:

... then again, just looking at that lower corner makes my left thumb go "uuugggghhh...."

Rusty's Jackson was a Bolt-on - you can see it watching some of his older vids.
              Sure about that? (the trans finish 7-string with an angled single coil at the neck) He had pics of it front and back on his website at the time. Neck through iirc.

Isnt "Rusty Cooley" and "Sustain" ...an oxymoron? I mean who can
              tell?? He's blurring 64th notes all over the fretboard... does he ever
              pause for sustain?
              funny, but true the man is a fukkin shred machine!!!!
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
              X