Kelly's balancing problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kelly\'s balancing problem?

I have been gone for a week and just read this thread today. I have a JK-20 Pro that balanced horribly. I tried five different strap button locations and never did find any that solved both the guitar leaning away and the neck dive problems without affecting playability. The final solution that has worked for me is simple. Using the stock strap button locations, run the strap from the lower (farthest from neck) button over the front of the body instead of behind. This eliminates the Kelly leaning away from you and I can change the neck angle between level and about 45 degress and it will stay where I put it if I let go of the neck. I use dunlop straplocks if that makes any difference. I think your body size may determine how well the various fixes work. I am 5' 10" and weigh about 180. This may help if the other fixes don't.

Comment

I've heard others mention this mysterious leaning away that Kellys do - mine never did [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      You guys wearing it "Hetfield" or "Lynch"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Haha, nope. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I put the right half of the strap over the body of the guitar and it pulls the guitar closer and more securely, eliminating the balance problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
          Haha, nope. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I put the right half of the strap over the body of the guitar and it pulls the guitar closer and more securely, eliminating the balance problem.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ya know i used to put the strap over the back of the body(ala skeeenard [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )but it made it to......ummm... bouncy..when my elbow was against the strap,kinda making the guitar flip upward and thrashin around on stage.....aaahhh i couldn't like it [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] but thats just me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .like i said i didn't have the divebomb prob. with this KE_2, but remembering how i had the import (and it was comfy to me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) i left the reset the pin. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
          MOSH ON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
            I've heard others mention this mysterious leaning away that Kellys do - mine never did [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            You guys wearing it "Hetfield" or "Lynch"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Kelly XLR I had tilted out away from my body, I also just put the strap over the body to pull it in. And I usually wear my guitars up a little higher. It didn't matter if I wore it higher or lower, it still tilted out and down a tiny bit towards the floor. I know Ron had the same problem with his Kelly XL. I never had any heavy neck or balancing problems, just the tilt out.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There just aint enough wood in the newer 'Friedman' Kellys! That little pygmy ruined the Kelly, having Jackson cut it down, yet again, so that it better fit his diminutive stature. If they went back to the mid sized Kellys of the mid 80's - 91ish, the problem would be solved! The resizing of the Kelly was accomplished by simply cutting about 1 1/2 inches off the entire butt of the guitar, and removing some wood from the lower bout, to provide better fret access, not to mention the addition of 24 frets. Make em' big again! Then we won't have to address this issue ever again!

Comment

Agreed [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Go back to making big guitars (Big Red instead of the Muswang V, bigger Kelly, Strat-sized instead of Dinky/Soloist, bigger Rhoadses, etc) - let all the scrawny fuckers learn to deal with it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm only 5'5", so big guitars look gay on me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I like the smaller size of the current Kelly, Warrior and King V, but I'm ultimately more into traditional shapes like Dinkies, Strats and Les Pauls anyway.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i also have a ke3 kelly and it neckdives a lot. What i did, as somebody already said is puting the strap over the winginstead of passing behind the guitar. If you don«t have a big belly that should work.. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

See that'sthe wierd thing. Les Pauls are kinda small, but they look right even on big guys. Look at Zakk Wylde. He's a bug mother, and they suit him perfectly.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Get a leather strap
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                          Get a leather strap
                          You realise this thread is more than 2,5 years old? Trying to break a record in thread-lifting?

Comment

Oh... I didn`t notice that cause I was in a never thread and then clicked on a link there... sorry
                            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I know that this is going to make no sense, because it didn't to me, and I have no explanation except maybe the neck is a little lighter......but my KE3 dove constantly till I replaced the normal neck with a reverse head DXMG neck, now it balances almost perfectly.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

My Kelly doesn't dive, but that's because the previous owner moved the strap peg to where the neck bolts on to the body.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X