Kelly's balancing problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kelly\'s balancing problem?

Thanks Newc I probably will take on your suggestion.

However, is the problem perfectly solved using those strap pin positions? Approx. what angle in degrees is the neck at when it's resting naturally? If it's not perfectly solved then I need to consider a bit.

Comment

I must be the ONLY person who does not have a balance problem with a Kelly!

Since the day I took my KE2 home, it has NEVER done a nose dive!

I just use a typical leather strap...and no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalChef:
        I must be the ONLY person who does not have a balance problem with a Kelly!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uhhh...that's like what I said and stuff.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

here is your sure fire fix dude,
          reading this post made me think of an old import Kelly i used to have that nosedived like a son of a B!tch, but i didn't want to make holes in it cause i wanted to sell it, so i moved the strap button here...

this eliminated all nose diving ,the relative position of the strap buttons to each other will not let it dive......

it is comfortable to, as it hugs your ribs on its way to the guitar.and there are no extra holes in your ax.i never had a prob with my KE-2 doing the dive,but now that i remember how comfy it is I'm gonna leave it, and yes guy's I'm gonna paint the bolts black ,as soon as i pick up some black paint.
          MOSH ON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Newc, explain your logic on the 'shoulder pinch' comment?

A wider strap spreads out the weight over a larger area, yes, on your shoulder. A skinny strap, like those DiMarzio cliplocks pictured, focus the same amount of weight on a much smaller area, again, on your shoulder. Theoretically, causing more discomfort and pain. Wider straps are more comfortable for heavier guitars. A normal strat or similar lightweight guitar, it doesn't really matter. But when you have a Les Paul, or a King Kelly, the wider strap is where its at.
            My King Kelly does not nosedive, no matter what size or material strap. That guitar is butt heavy, like this girl I knew.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I also have a medium sized 1985 Kelly, and it does not nosedive, no matter what, so there you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dave, you must be a skinny dude! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That Kelly looks HUGE on you! Compare me with a similarly-sized WR-1:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks a lot Dave!

Your solution seems to be the best! The neck angle is the kind of angle I want too.

However, the hole you move your strap pin to --- isn't it a bit too close to the trem cavity, thus making it a risk for the wood to give way into the trem cavity, with all the stress from the strap pin?

I can understand Newc's comments about the shoulder pinch. In my experimenting, to get the kelly at an ideal angle, almost 90% of the weight has to go to the left side of the strap... I'd imagine that if I get a large, frictional strap and have it at the ideal angle, it'd be rather uncomfortable on the left shoulder.

Thanks!

[ April 09, 2004, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: dfvxc ]

Comment

Originally posted by Metalcop:
                  Newc, explain your logic on the 'shoulder pinch' comment?

A wider strap spreads out the weight over a larger area, yes, on your shoulder. A skinny strap, like those DiMarzio cliplocks pictured, focus the same amount of weight on a much smaller area, again, on your shoulder. Theoretically, causing more discomfort and pain. Wider straps are more comfortable for heavier guitars. A normal strat or similar lightweight guitar, it doesn't really matter. But when you have a Les Paul, or a King Kelly, the wider strap is where its at.
                  My King Kelly does not nosedive, no matter what size or material strap. That guitar is butt heavy, like this girl I knew.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I also have a medium sized 1985 Kelly, and it does not nosedive, no matter what, so there you have it.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True about the wider strap, but it doesn't totally solve the issue of the Kelly's poor weight distribution - the guitar's balance point is close to the end of the fretboard, so either the strap end must be right at the center of gravity of you must find a way to weight the rear of the body or else the guitar's weight distribution is focused on your shoulder - using a large, friction-surface strap is like taking a pain pill for a busted appendix - it does not fix the problem, only prolongs the time until you feel the pain. I've used wide straps (got one on my JCF01 Rhoads) and yes you do get the same amount of pressure in the direct center of the strap as you would on a 2" Dimarzio, because the pins are in the center of the ends of the strap, ergo the weight is focused on the direct center for the length of the strap.

The Explorer/Kelly/Star designs are simply not proportioinately correct for the neck - the bodies must be bigger than they are now to add more weight to compensate for the balance issue. Regardless of whether anyone here has or does not have a partially collapsed spine or rib cage or otherwise imperfect posture, the Explorer shapes need to be revised.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just tried out Dave's (MOSHWITZ's) advice. I have to say, it works absolutely great!!! Thanks a million for the tip Dave! It's so easy too!

The blance right now is awesome! I think this is worth making into a sticky thread, tho that's for the admins to decide.

Now I will have no problem whipping the kelly out to play standing up! Yes!

Comment

DFVXC,thanks man glad to be of service [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [quote]Originally posted by RacerX:
                      Dave, you must be a skinny dude! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That Kelly looks HUGE on you! Compare me with a similarly-sized WR-1:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OH, I lose 10 lbs. in pictures [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] small....maybe, but skinny [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] 5'10'1/2 190lbs. hell dude when your 7'9" 495lbs. like yourself [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] ,,,,,,like you said EVERYTHING is a dinky [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Moshwitz, what did you use to cover up the strap pin hole that used to be at the end of the guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                          Moshwitz, what did you use to cover up the strap pin hole that used to be at the end of the guitar?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ok, on the import that i sold, i just put the pin back in the end of the guitar.
                          on my KE-2 i actually have 2 holes on the end,, but i put buttons in them so i can still have a cord retainer now that my strap don't connect there anymore. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] and i dont like the cord comming up the back of the guitar,i would rather it be cast away from me instead of it right on me. but you can do this with one pin too, just run your cord through another hole in the strap piece.i just took advantage of the 2 holes

Comment

Very cool! I like that cord retainer idea!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Slick!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

thanks guys [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                                i'm painting the cord retainer buttons white and the bolts on the face black right now, i'll post pics later when it's all dry [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X