No announcement yet.

Ebony Fretboard Cleaning Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like stringfellow needs to review their product R&Ds!!!

Comment

in absence of the product, i may have another go using just a soft toothbrush

Comment

Originally posted by S-man View Post
        Use bore oil next time!
        Yep, this man speaketh the truth. I read about using bore oil several years back on the Les Paul forum....and I've been using it ever since. It really does work great! I use Selmer Bore Oil No. 2935.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S-man View Post
            so, S-Man, you're saying Bore Oil does not leave the white streaks in the rosewood these guys are talking about? I have those streaks in the grain of my Model 2 board also and want a new product other than Kysers stringfellow lemon oil if that's what's causing this.

do they sell it at any music store? I know Selmer makes woodwind instruments, is it in that section of say, Sam Ash?
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Yes, Selmer Bore Oil works like a charm. I bought mine from a music store that sells wind instruments. It was only $3.00 or so. If you tell them what you're planning to use it on, then be prepared to have them look at you like you're an idiot. And if you happen to be in a store that also sells guitars, they will not only look at you like you're an idiot, but will probably try to sway you toward some other product. But stick to your guns and buy bore oil.

Comment

yeah, I know that look...
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                  Yep, this man speaketh the truth. I read about using bore oil several years back on the Les Paul forum....and I've been using it ever since. It really does work great! I use Selmer Bore Oil No. 2935.
                  No, the most popular fretboard conditioner on the Les Paul Forum is the fret doctor. I have bought and use this product on all my rosewood and ebony fretboards. I had an ebony board untreated for 15 years that came out great. It drank this stuff up.

I believe the white streaks you are seeing is wax residue. A good cleaner like naptha should remove it, or any of the other products mentioned.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Comment

I reckon it is wax residue also...and i am still looking for the right cleaning product. Will boredoctor or fretdoctor do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      No, the most popular fretboard conditioner on the Les Paul Forum is the fret doctor. I have bought and use this product on all my rosewood and ebony fretboards. I had an ebony board untreated for 15 years that came out great. It drank this stuff up.

I believe the white streaks you are seeing is wax residue. A good cleaner like naptha should remove it, or any of the other products mentioned.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
                      Note I said "a few years back". I was quite active on the LPF back around 2001 or so. Apparently viewpoints have changed. I'll have to give that link a read.

Comment

I clean my ebony boards with naptha and treat with boiled linseed oil. Bore oil works great also as others have stated.

Comment

Working...
                        X