Sanding the back of a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sanding the back of a neck

My LP actually now sports an RS Guitarworks electronics upgrade kit! I highly recommend this to every LP owner. The difference is astounding, best $60 towards a guitar I ever spent. I will probably try the steel wool/scotch gard trick first, then if that doesn't do it, I will remove all of the finish...

Comment

Your gonna need sandpaper to even scuff the finish enough to feel a difference.
      You can rub that thing all week and not make a dent with scotchbrite or steel wool. I know. I've tried it. I've also stripped a few and roughed up one. Sandpaper. 200 followed by 400 followed by 600 is what you want.

Comment

OK, I can definitely see the three-piece lines on the headstock, but I can't clearly make them out on the neck. I am assuming that this means that the neck is a three-piece, and therefore maple?

Chuck - wouldn't using those grits of paper that you recommended be for removing the finish, not just 'brushing' it up? Thanks again, guys.

Comment

No. It just depends on how long you sand it wether you just rough up the top of the paint as I did on both of my GMP Pawnshops, or completely remove the finish, which includes a lot of time consuming detail work as I did on two of my soloists and a maple neck Les Paul. Steel wool or scotch brite won't touch it.

I carefully masked the body and headstock so as not to scratch the body and have a definate line at the headstock.
          If you want to try the scothbrite, which I like better cause its doing the same job as steel wool but won't load the pickups up with metal bits, go for it. But buy some sandpaper while your at the hardware store, cause your gonna want it.

Comment

I tried this on a couple of my Soloists after Chuck mentioned it, a while back, and it feels great. It dulls the finish on the neck, but lets you dig in and float around the neck easier.
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I sanded the finish off my 'faded' 2002 Gibson Les Paul double cut P90...

I tried just scuffing it, but the finish was so thin that ONE SWIPE with 400 grit showed wood! there is a little bit of the 'primer' or whatever in the grain - I just sanded it enough to knock the top finish off, and then hit it with gunstock oil. I'm going to redo it later with boiled linseed oil - it's the bomb. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

for the "what NOT to do" when sanding a neck.. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] .please see the pics posted under USA Jacksons
                "Rory's $80 pawnshop"....LMAO [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                what's even saddest about this is the guy who used to own this now plays nothing but black Les Pauls...
                and yes...he sands the necks!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                including his Kalamazoo!
                Rory

Comment

Hey Metalcop I've been telling everybody about R&S upgrade kits for LPs for quite a while here on the JCF.They are incredible.Roy and Scott know their poo when it comes to LPs and how to make them sound and look like they should.They are great guys too.I live about 15 min from their shop and hang out there from time to time.They did a refin on my star body and it is the bomb.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just can't bring myself to do anything to the neck of this guitar. Right now, I just keep a soft cloth handy and wipe it down every 2-3 songs. I am going to remove the finish the old fashioned way and wear it off by playing the everliving shit out of it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Couldn't bring myself to put the Kahler locking nut on it, either. (she has a TP6 finetuning tailpiece)

Comment

Do these R&S guys have a webpage, I'd like to find out more about these kits.

Comment

Here is RS Guitarworks website:

http://www.rsguitarworks.com/

However, I bought my kit from the Music Zoo. RS Guitarworks has been out of stock on everything forever, and they link you to the Music Zoo as stocking their upgrade kits...same price.

Comment

They can't keep the kits in stock, they are selling them as fast as they can make them.Keep trying the zoo or their web site.The site loads kind of slow but well worth the wait.Some one needs to buy that LP in their used gear section its bad to the bone.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X