Scalloping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloping.

Fair enough, i searched and none gave me the info i required.

All are "should i"

i need one that talks indepth about how do do it..

My neck is an Rx10D neck.

Re: Scalloping.

CON pposted this at the UM forums, and i was also wondering. . .how thick are the inlays on most jackson guitars. . .some posters here are average to professional luthiers so they would know porbably . . . how thick are they? 1/8 inch, 1/16 inch?

Comment

Here is the best tutorial I've seen on scalloping:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I wouldn't fuck with it on a RX10D. They have the plastic shark inlays and you're just asking for a real mess. JMHO.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Scalloping.

I really want a scalloped fretboard but dont wanna pay £300 for it.

how easy is it to do by hand, what tools required and whats he likely hood of fucking up...

I'll be experimenting on a shitty squire so can someone please give me a walk through.
          thanks

Comment

There are several threads under the Tech Q&A section that talks about scalloping.

Comment

Yeah, what i was thinking was do it, and if the sharkfins become fucked, just sand them out and drill dots.

Comment

I'd not do so. this will end up aweful.
                there's nothing worse than uneven frets with fucked up inlays...

you played one before btw?
                if not I recommend to do so. it reads/sounds beautiful but it's surely not for everyone.
                I played one in a store the other day and thanked got for my normal frets.
                sucked simply IMO.
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

as i said, i;m more curious han anything so i;m trying it on a shitty squire before i do it to a real guitar.

Comment

CoN, I have an 86 Jackson USA bengal Strat that has a maple/maple neck with black dots and frets 10 on up are deeply scalloped. I had the neck refretted about a week or two ago because the frets were down to nothing. I very much recommend trying to play a scalloped board before permanently modding your fretboard. I've gotten used to it now but it took a couple of days of only playing that guitar to get the hang of it. I didn't realize how much the actual fretboard came into use in my playing. Now, I don't have any wood to keep me from overpressing the string ar keeping me from pulling the string off the fretboard altogether. I will say that playing legato runs ascending and descending on the scalloped registers is SSSSSOOOOOO much easier than a non-scalloped neck. You don't have to press the string nearly as hard to fret a note. Tapping is easier and the notes ring truer. A definite help in the speed department. I'll snap a pic of the scallop job on this guitar to give you an idea of how this one turned out. I did not do it myself, it was a pro job.
                    Oh yeah, and refrets aren't always possible on scalloped necks. I just got lucky I think.
                    Tom

Comment

I'd rather have a factory scalloped neck than do it later. You can experiment on some cheap necks, but I think it's going to be extremely difficult to do it right in garage conditions. I recommend playing a scalloped neck before doing anything. Let us know know how it came out if you decide to do it.

Comment

Scalloping necks is a PAIN IN THE ASS!! And an easy way to ruin a neck. However, there is only one way to learn, and that's by doing it, which it sounds like you want to do. I'd say your probably going to have to scallop 2-3 necks before you get confident enough to do your Ibanez. Having said that, good luck!! And welcome to the exciting world of guitar modification!!

Comment

I already do all my other work... Intonation fixing, TRuss adjustments, Pickup changes, installed my gainboosts etc, i jsut want a sdcalloped neck [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Where would a budding 16year old Scottish self-guitar tech obtain such items?

Comment

I use a dremel variable speed tool with 3 sizes of drum sanding wheels and 2 grits of paper. Medium and course. I would suggest you NOT do an RX10D neck though. You will most likely loose some or at least parts of the shark fins. I would also suggest practicing on a cheap dot rosewood or maple neck with no binding and 21-22 frets. Use cable ties on each of the frets to protect them. That is a trick of the trade. An 8" standard tie works best. It protects the frets from an accidental run in with your dremel tool. Make sure you seal the neck when finished with linseed or tung oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X