No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Problem - Rust on Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about using those air cans (normally to blow dust out of tiny spaces) instead of guitar cleaner for those areas?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Stop rubbing the saddles, as that's part of the problem, too. I know people say it's good to wipe down your guitar after playing, but just do the neck and strings, leave the gold hardware alone or just try to be more gentle with it.
      That's what I did - wiped down the trem, strings and neck after I stopped playing. Didn't use much force too. I always do that. Not wiping down the trem would leave all the residue on the trem which would lead to the rusting and degradation of the gold plating, no?

Comment

Depends how acidic your sweat is. My sweat isn't very acidic, but I used to rub that gold bridge of my Carvin down all the time, realized it was causing a little discoloration, so I stopped doing that and just gently try to blot it instead of rubbing it.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Depends how acidic your sweat is. My sweat isn't very acidic
          Well, mine is . Seriously, Elixir strings star to rust (discolor in places where I play the most) in about three months of playing ...and they're the ones that last 3x-5x longer than normal strings!

Comment

Sucks to be you! :ROTF:

Comment

Yeah .

Comment

I never really liked the feel of Elixirs that came on my Carvin, but DR makes nice strings that don't rust too easily, I like the Hi-Beams. Maybe try some of their coated strings like the Extra Life Black Beauties.

Comment

Sucks to be you! :ROTF:

Good one

I never really liked the feel of Elixirs that came on my Carvin, but DR makes nice strings that don't rust too easily, I like the Hi-Beams. Maybe try some of their coated strings like the Extra Life Black Beauties.
                  I agree DR Tite Fits are killer!
                  Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

My Floyd Rose trem looks worse....I am planning to switch to black

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                      Well, mine is . Seriously, Elixir strings star to rust (discolor in places where I play the most) in about three months of playing ...and they're the ones that last 3x-5x longer than normal strings!
                      i can't beleive you're playing on strings that are more than 3 months old. YYYUCK!!!

i don't see how any of you can stand the same set of strings after a month. i usually restring a day or so before each gig. and if i'm not giging i'll change strings once a month at least. old strings blow!

if i'm in the studio, its new strings every 4 days. or less depending on how acidic your sweat is.

3 months! you got to be kidding me.

back to the topic at hand - call schaller directly and they'll send you out free replacement saddles. now to me that is worth the international call.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Any idea on where to find a set of 6 new gold plated saddles for OFR?

Comment

Any idea on where to find a set of 6 new gold plated saddles for OFR?

Very hard to find...appreciate any input. Thanks

Comment

www.guitarpartsdepot.com
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

...black flakes away too...I don't mind the flakes as much as the rust, which I haven't noticed on this guitar...yet.

Comment

This is why I don't buy guitars with gold hardware. I love the look but I apparently am very acidic as well so I stick with chrome. For some reason chrome holds up much better, at least for me. If I could buy a guitar just to look at or collect I'd go for the gold but I don't think that will ever happen.......to me they're made to be played!

Comment

Working...
                                X