Started spraying next project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skorb View Post
    that candy red was not original on Model 2's I thought. just ferrari red.

Yes, that red is an original Model 2 finish.

Comment

Well Sean popped by this morning so he could see the colour and the pictures don't do it any justice, the clour is flip flopping, there's purple tints to it in the sunshine, yes it is actually sunny in England, quite hot today!!!

We were pondering what design to do???? so it may be a while until we get to that stage...

To those who have an interest in guitar painting, i did not remove the candy red off the guitar, i used that as my base, flatted it with a scotch brite pad to give it a key for the primer, filled any chips in with stopper and then away i went with 2k primer...

that is me in the picture, just so you know i do exist! i've put some weight on since packing in smoking, nearly 2 years now!
      http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...andyred007.jpg
      Last edited by 24seven; 06-09-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Comment

nice but a little orange pealy. would look goon once flat.

cute cat brw. http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...ven/seevka.jpg
          Last edited by asix; 06-11-2007, 12:07 PM.
          no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
            Yes, it's a 1987 Model 2 that had a JT6 on it. My fault for 24seven's confusion, I keep telling her it's a San Dimas style body. She's not a guitarist, she's the artist.

I do like the original metallic red/burgundy, but it was so badly chipped and scratched something had to be done. I'm going to source a one piece birdseye maple strat head neck for this and fit an OFR and an EMG 81.

I have no idea how this will turn out, I've left that to 24seven, I interefered with her artistic freedom too much last time (Eerie Dess Model 2), so now she has free reign.

Ok, I'm going to be the pain today. Doesn't this post belong in the Import section or Q & A?
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

it looks great to me. i say put a maple strathead on it with some gold hardware.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                Yes, that red is an original Model 2 finish.
                dude, I've never seen one in this color. and I've owned a red M2 for 20 years. blue, white, black and red is all I've seen. do you have any pics of the guitar in original condition, or other pics of 2's with this color?

I would love to see a pic of an original candy apple red Model 2, because that would be a first for me. thanks!
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Bengal65, you may be a pain today, and you are probably right!
                  It seems when i post anything on here, i have no idea where to put it, they should do a section just on artwork/graphics, because this is what interests me......and there seems to be enough said on custom guitars, right?

Asix, yes the orange peel will go once flatted, even the professionals get the orange peel effect! i have a cheap gun to spray with, it does the job but more work when finishing...when i was on the car body course no matter what we sprayed we had to wet flat everything!

Anymore questions? ;-)

Comment

Nice color! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                    dude, I've never seen one in this color. and I've owned a red M2 for 20 years. blue, white, black and red is all I've seen. do you have any pics of the guitar in original condition, or other pics of 2's with this color?

I would love to see a pic of an original candy apple red Model 2, because that would be a first for me. thanks!

Here ya go, my friend, and I'm including a scan of the brochure where it even mentions it for you:

And here's mine before I changed the neck:

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks Dave, I couldn't find a picture of mine before I took it to bits.

Comment

Originally posted by 24seven View Post
                        Bengal65, you may be a pain today, and you are probably right!
                        It seems when i post anything on here, i have no idea where to put it, they should do a section just on artwork/graphics, because this is what interests me......and there seems to be enough said on custom guitars, right?

Asix, yes the orange peel will go once flatted, even the professionals get the orange peel effect! i have a cheap gun to spray with, it does the job but more work when finishing...when i was on the car body course no matter what we sprayed we had to wet flat everything!

Anymore questions? ;-)
                        Yeah, I was just being funny because this happens all the time. Yes, I agree we need a painting, graphics section. Many questions are asked about refinishing, finishing, designs, construction on this forum. Oh yes the flating should be quite fun!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well this is an update, and it all went wrong...the bl@@dy paint needed driers and not hardener in it, so it never dried right!!! Anyway it all had to come off!!!

To strip only the blue off, i used paint stripper no more than 3 inch sections at about 30 secs at a time and this removed it upto the grey primer pretty okay so was pleased about that...and all the blue had to come off as it would cause my new paint to shrivell....that done, today i have now grey 2k primed it yet again and it's drying nicely...the guy in the shop has mixed me some cellulose paint, bluey purple metallic and some pearl in there, it looks gorgeous, I can't wait to put it on!

As i said before it is not necessary to strip the original paint off a guitar and if needed be i could have taken the primer off carefully and gotten the red back, that's how careful i was, just lucky i managed to get rid of the blue...it will still be next summer by the time i get it all done, maybe winter for putting a design on it, but i have no idea what as yet....will keep you informed.

(the blue i used was Max meyer tints 2k, apparently it needs driers to make it dry, and it is nothing like cellulose paint that requires thinners, no wonder it was given to me in lots).
                          Last edited by 24seven; 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM.

Comment

thanks Dave, that's excellent, they also came in Burgundy Mist.
                            I had no idea, they must not have made many in these two other colors.
                            only the later years I guess, cause that's an 87 or 88 catalogue I think.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Is this the Burgundy Mist or Champagne pink?

Just one more guitar!

Comment

thats champaigne pink or whatever the technical name is.
                                thats the pink.
                                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X