dead tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dead tone

Mark, the problem I noticed with all my electrics is that they really don't cut through the mix when they are unplugged. Even in complete silence they just don't have that nice full sound like my acoustic does. Maybe I should do a pickup swap and go from passives to actives? I also notice that none of the electronics work on them either when unplugged? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Playing solid body electrics for any length of time without an amp isn't a good idea. You will utimately end up picking much harder than is necessary with an amp, usually without realizing it at the time. What this will do is introduce bad habits that you will have to undo when you use an amp again. i.e. This guitar didn't used to buzz like this........Just my opinion.

Comment

Plus all those notes that are supposed to turn electric will build up in the pickups, and because they have no where to go, they will make the pickups confused when you DO plug that guitar in again. It'll wear the pickups out prematurely, dude.

Get a headphone amp.

Comment

LMFAO @ Chuck!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i just wanted to know why my guitar sounds the way it does [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] , my other guitars dont sound like it

Comment

BECAUSE IT'S NOT FRIGGIN PLUGGED IN!!!!!!!!!
              Let's see, how else can we put this..........
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                Mark, the problem I noticed with all my electrics is that they really don't cut through the mix when they are unplugged. Even in complete silence they just don't have that nice full sound like my acoustic does. Maybe I should do a pickup swap and go from passives to actives? I also notice that none of the electronics work on them either when unplugged? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ya know John, you're right. I never noticed that before. I just went and checked another one of mine and if it's not plugged into the amp the volume knob don't even make a difference! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                Must be those cheap ass japanese electronics. I'm gonna replace the volume pot tommorow and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                  Plus all those notes that are supposed to turn electric will build up in the pickups, and because they have no where to go, they will make the pickups confused when you DO plug that guitar in again. It'll wear the pickups out prematurely, dude.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't laugh Chucky, that CAN happen. I had a guitar that I jammed on a bunch unplugged and one day I decided to try it out through the amp and it blew all the fucking internal tube rectifier amplitude modulation capacitors in my amp!!! That was a good lesson for me (and quite an expensive one I might add)

Comment

That can't really happen....can it? I play my electrics without plugging them in all time, and have never had a problem like that. If it does happen, I'm suing my neighbor for being home all the time and having a little kid who goes to bed early!

Comment

You can get a practice amp for under $50 on eBay. If it's bugging you that bad you should spend $50 before you scrap the guitar for not having a quality that is negligable. The reason that it probably sounds differently is because it is set up to play with an amp. When you set up a guitar to play with an amp, you usually set the action lower and you hit the strings softer when you are playing. The strings don't vibrate as much as when you are strumming an acoustic, so the strings can be closer to the fretboard. Also any number of other things can cause the guitar to sound like crap: rattling parts, loose frets, loose nut, uneven frets, bad truss rod adjustment, action too low, mismatched radii...etc. Stuff that might be slight enough that you can't hear it when you are plugged in and playing on maximum gain.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                        That can't really happen....can it? I play my electrics without plugging them in all time, and have never had a problem like that. If it does happen, I'm suing my neighbor for being home all the time and having a little kid who goes to bed early!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X