No announcement yet.

I wanna be toneless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that article explained why a lot of players switch to a 250k pot when doing a 1 hum 1 volume setup. ( 500k vol + 500k tone = 250k Load.) so we're used to hearing our humbuckers at 250k with a standard tone knob setup.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
      so, is there any compensation for the no-tone-knob in guitars that do not come with one? For ex. the COW sig model has only a vol knob if I am not wrong.
      No. Some players like the tone better w/o the treble attenuation of a tone pot (even with 1 meg pots on 10 there is a n audible difference vs. no pot).

Removing the tone knob on a passive guitar will brighten and open up the tone a bit (as has been mentioned, the lower the pot value was the greater the difference will be). On actives the difference will be miniscule IME (and physics would support that), but some claim to hear one there as well.

BTW, some players that don´t like the knob but don´t like the tonal change just stuff the unused pot into the electronics cavity

As far as those with "only there for tradition" or similar comments: Please speak for yourself. Simply because you are satisfied with not using your instrument to it´s full potential does not mean everyone else should be. I for example set up most of my 2 hum guitars with Mvolume and 2 tones (Rhoads setup), and all 3 get used quite often, both live and in the studio.
      Last edited by Zerberus; 06-14-2007, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
        BTW, some players that don´t like the knob but don´t like the tonal change just stuff the unused pot into the electronics cavity

When people remove their tone knobs, they usually remove the filtering capacitor as well. That's what really makes the difference. When I put the resistor in the control cavity it was inline with the original cap.

Comment

Here's my WR1 with the tone knob relocated.

Comment

Err, I meant to say volume knob relocated (tone knob removed)

Comment

Have you thought about putting in a kill switch in the old volume spot? When I remove my tone knob, that is what I plan to do with that extra hole.

joe....
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
                Have you thought about putting in a kill switch in the old volume spot? When I remove my tone knob, that is what I plan to do with that extra hole.

joe....
                Good idea.

Comment

how do you play sweet child o' mine with no tone knob? lol

Comment

Originally posted by data187 View Post
                    how do you play sweet child o' mine with no tone knob? lol
                    on the front pickup.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      on the front pickup.
                      Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                        on the front pickup.

I assume you guys know when stating this that the intro to SCOM is the Neck pickup with teh tone knob rolled off as far as can go?

With the proper amp settings it´s possible, but not everyone has the time onstage to twiddle the knobs on their amp to get a decent crunch tone afterwards. Flipping a switch is much more practical

Comment

Fortunately LP's have all the controls placed nicely out of the way. It's only these pesky Jacksons that are an issue!

Comment

Working...
                          X