No announcement yet.

I wanna be toneless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning down almost every passive tone control I've ever used sounds like throwing a blanket over the amp. Whereas adjusting the Treble control on the amp actually does what I want the tone control on the guitar to do. I keep meaning to get an equalizer or EQ pedal and figure out the frequency a standard tone pot effects, then figure out some way to make it effect a useful frequency. Without batteries, I mean.

Reverend guitars supposedly has a passive bass contour control. I've never played their guitars, so I don't know how well it works.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

"...EMG Anusburner ..."

There is a pickup called "anusburner" ?!?

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        i like them, it helps when you want a silky smooth cleans...........
        that's what neck pickups are for...
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
          Can you just 'rip out the wire'?
          Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            I use the tone-knob often. When I am tapping and during pull-offs, with the EMG-81, I find that the tone all the way up gives the notes a great sustain and bite...and its great for pinch harmonics. For rhythm I tame the 81's treble, but rolling it off a little using the tone-knob. Works great!!
            The only time I use my tone knob is when I accidentally hit it with my hand and the tone is turned down. Otherwise, I have no use for it.
            "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post
              The only time I use my tone knob is when I accidentally hit it with my hand and the tone is turned down. Otherwise, I have no use for it.
              then you should probably do what this nine inch nails guitarist does. he has removed all the knobs except the vol knob. :ROTF:

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                then you should probably do what this nine inch nails guitarist does. he has removed all the knobs except the vol knob. :ROTF:
                Actually...that's exactly what I do to almost all my guitars.

...but doing it to a Les Paul is kinda silly, since you'd have to put in a real effort to hit them "accidentally".

Comment

Sam

Comment

I did find this article about tone/no-tone setups. Pretty interesting.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/pots/lpfpots.html

joe...
                    www.godwentpunk.com
                    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

i enjoyed it
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
                        I did find this article about tone/no-tone setups. Pretty interesting.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/pots/lpfpots.html

joe...
                        Interesting re-read. Some of those are the actual questions I posted back in 2001-ish.

Comment

my current build has a volume only, no tone circuit

the next one im getting, a glen tipton (judas priest) guitar, has only a volume and 3-way

Comment

I removed the tone knob altogether on my WR1, and moved the volume knob to where the tone used to be because my right hand constantly whacked into the volume. Sadly, the guitar became noticeable brighter and shriller. So, the solution for me was to put a 500 K ohm resistor in the control cavity in the circuit where the tone knob used to be, simulating the tone knob at 10. Some heat shrink on the resister prevented any shorts. I found a chrome hole plug at Home Depot to plug the hole where the original volume knob was. It sounds awesome, and my aggressive right hand never hits the knobs now!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              I removed the tone knob altogether on my WR1, and moved the volume knob to where the tone used to be because my right hand constantly whacked into the volume. Sadly, the guitar became noticeable brighter and shriller. So, the solution for me was to put a 500 K ohm resistor in the control cavity in the circuit where the tone knob used to be, simulating the tone knob at 10. Some heat shrink on the resister prevented any shorts. I found a chrome hole plug at Home Depot to plug the hole where the original volume knob was. It sounds awesome, and my aggressive right hand never hits the knobs now!!

What was the rating (k) of your volume knob? I've heard that if you have just one volume knob, to look at using a 250/500k pot and to stay away from the 1m pot due to its "brighter and shriller" sound.

joe...
                              www.godwentpunk.com
                              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

The volume is a 500K.
                                _________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X