No announcement yet.

Custom Set neck Build (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guy's... I'm not sure how many hours I have in it so far. I have done work on it along with other pieces at the same time, so, it's hard to say. As far as the inlay goes...It's all good I like single inlays at the 12th...not everybody does.

I have to say though, the idea of working for, or with Ed Roman is not appealing to me at all. I bought one guitar from him a long time ago when he was in NY. It's a mistake I wont make twice.

Like I said in my first post, the design is based on a violin with guitar cutaways... That's what I was shooting for. I have seen several luthiers build solid body pieces with the violin side cutouts...I'm definately not the first. I started with an RGish strat shape, I extended upper horn, and went from there. The Abstract model is based more on a LP double cut. I think my design will balance better.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Yeah know, I'm pissed in more ways than one. Like you critics can build a guitar from scratch. I, for one, think it's just amazing when anyone can really "Build" a guitar from the neck down. I bow to the craftsman.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

doug, that thing is looking immaculate.

truly.

Comment

Yep, I do admire the craftsman 100% as well, amazing job, and the 9 piece neck looks amazing.

I just saw the guitar and it immediately reminded me of the Pagan guitars, and that's why I posted some pix, they look alike even down to the pointy thing at the end of the body.

As for the inlay, I love 12th fret inlays, but I personally didn't like the "acorn and leaves" thingy. But that's just me.

Comment

Well...I decided to add something that wasnt in the original plan. Mr. Zeegler pointed out that he didnt see a neck angle (which was not incorporated in the original design). I went back and checked my math...sure enough I was .100" off on the bridge height. I guess I forgot to "carry the one" . This would make the action waaay too high.

After a lengthy conversation about my options with Tony (Subvamp), who is a top knotch luthier, I decided to recess the bridge and the quick change tailpiece. This will lower the action & feel, and give it a somewhat unique element. I could have angled the neck, but decided not too.

I made the router temp to match the contour of the tailpiece. It fits nice and snug with about .040" gap on all sides:

Next I need to deepen the holes for the bridge & tailpiece, then rout the control cav, carve the back, fret & set the neck...ect. I still have plenty of work ahead of me.
            >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Wow. Great work!
              |My CSG gallery|
              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

looking good!
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                  Hey! I didn't say anything "not-nice". I said I like it (really nice) but personally, I didn't like the inlay, that's it.

Then, I asked where did he get his idea from and I remember the Abstract/Pagan guitars at Roman website. Maybe this guy works at Abstract guitars or something, just curious.
                  sorry i wasnt trying to tell you off

i was just saying it was bit harsh to compare hunting dogs piece of art to the leprecauns lpile of crap

chris

Comment

After another late night of luthiery, I have added yet another detail that was not in the original plan. I decided to raise the neck about .100" without incorporating any angle. I did this by adding a matching piece of macassar ebony at the bottom of the fretboard (and tennon) where it sits on the body. After it's sanded flush, it will be seamless. Coupled with the recessed bridge, it now has the feel I'm looking for.

I was also able to slightly re-shape the HS & voloute, and drill the holes for the tuners. As you can tell, I do almost every operation on the mill:

Here is a peek at the next personal project on the bench:

>>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Comment

Stunning ,,,,Doug
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Hey, just wondering if you've had more time to put into this, looks awesome in the pics!

Comment

+1
                            I really admire the guy on this forum that have the ability to do this. I am afraid to buy a body that doesnt already have the bridge holes pre-drilled for me. Maybe I need to grow some balls.
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                            X