Humbucker wiring screw up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humbucker wiring screw up

Yup, I actually own a couple of Selects. Nice tone, but too low output for my taste. Been many years since I used them in anything though.

Funny thing is, the only times I've seen Charvel branded pickups IRL, they were in Charvettes - never a Charvel. I have no idea what they sound like, but maybe we could ask Breadfan to post a few soundclips. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Bane I had Charvel pickups in a Charvel. It was a parts guitar, and at the time I did not know Jackson and Charvel were what they are, and I posted a note at a local shop saying, looking for Charvel pickups.

Makes me think, what the fuck did they sound like. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
        Yup, I actually own a couple of Selects. Nice tone, but too low output for my taste. Been many years since I used them in anything though.

Funny thing is, the only times I've seen Charvel branded pickups IRL, they were in Charvettes - never a Charvel. I have no idea what they sound like, but maybe we could ask Breadfan to post a few soundclips. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

'bane
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure thing
        I'm gonna fix that humbucker screwup tomorrow.

Comment

Damnit!! It didn't work [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
          Still sounds shitty!

Comment

So what does it sound like now?
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Breadfan:
              Damnit!! It didn't work [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
              Still sounds shitty!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe it did work and it's just a crappy pickup. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] There's a reason those guitars were so cheap, you know.

First of all, did you follow every step in the wiring instructions in the other thread? If you didn't, start over and do it right this time.

However, if you are sure that it is wired correctly, check the pickup height and the polepiece adjustment. The pickup should be about 1/8" below the strings with the strings fretted at the last fret. A pickup that's too far away will have a weak sound. The polepieces should be screwed down flush with the top of the pickup. You will, of course, tweak these settings later, but they're good starting points.

If you are compelled to continue:
              - Tell us how many wires are coming out of the pickup.
              - Tell us which wires are the primary coil, and which wires are the secondary coil.
              - Measure the resistance across each coil. Tell us what it is.
              - Tell us about every wire you have hooked up: where it starts, where it ends, and what color it is.
              - Take pictures that clearly show the wiring and post them. "Clearly" means so we can see the individual wires, and only the wires for the jack, the pickup, the volume pot, and the tone circuit (if you have one). Specifically, this means we doin't want to see the 5-way switch, the single coils, or any wires to/from these parts.

Of course, another alternative is to pay someone to wire it up for you. It shouldn't be that much, and you've spent a lot of time on it already.

Comment

Nah, thats the easy way. I wanna learn it myself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

zeeg: It sounds _very_ thin and shitty.. i dont know how to describe the sound really.. Sounds very metallic.. gah damn i suck at describing tones

konga: It cant sound that shitty.. something is wrong. I didn't follow your guide.. i just tried to put the black wire on the switch and ground the blue one. i'll try your guide this time

-There are 5 wires coming out of the humbucker. blue, red, white, black and silver
                -Primary coil, secondary coil? Hm I dont know what youre talking about [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                I'll take pics and put them here tomorrow.. i'll also draw a wiring diagram

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Breadfan:
                  Nah, thats the easy way. I wanna learn it myself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, you're certainly learning how to do things the wrong way. I guess that's a valuable lesson in and of itself. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

hah yeah, thats true

Comment

Working...
                    X