Tuning 6 string to 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
    i know, if i didn't i would not be talking, i said it would, but like i said it is going to sound muddy and floppy, if it was rubbish then no one would have took the time to think of it.

but i think zeberus has taken the time to point your stupidity
    At the Gates?
    Cryptopsy?
    In Flames?
    Carcass?

2341234 other bands?

I didn't say it would sound exactly how you'd like to you ears, I said it is do-able and done often by plenty of bands. You don't NEED a baritone guitar to tune down that low. The question wasn't "should I buy a baritone guitar?" So stop being an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
      At the Gates?
      Cryptopsy?
      In Flames?
      Carcass?

2341234 other bands?

I didn't say it would sound exactly how you'd like to you ears, I said it is do-able and done often by plenty of bands. You don't NEED a baritone guitar to tune down that low. The question wasn't "should I buy a baritone guitar?" So stop being an asshole.
      " i said it is do-able".......... as did i, have you ever noticed that most of these bands, distort their guitar, and some even their bass, to make up for bad playing. i never said anything about buying, but rather point out that is their specific purpose.
      Last edited by kelly user; 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

A friend of mine has play 7's for over 15 years. His custom guitars have a 25" scale, but he runs a really heavy string for the low A, usually around a .090. You can do it if you drill out the bridge and tuner hole.

I run a .070 on my 7's with 25.5 scale, helps gets rid of the buzzy, flappy B string and has a little more punch and definition. I've tried up to .090, but the heavier the string, the more the low string is out of balance tonally with the rest of the strings.

I have a 28" scale baritone for the chuggy low tuned metal stuff, but I don't like playing lead on it. Also, not so good for more intricate chordal work, since some of the stretches can be too wide for my hand.

Comment

" i said it is do-able".......... as did i, have you ever noticed that most of these bands, distort their guitar, and some even their bass, to make up for bad playing. i never said anything about buying, but rather point out that is their specific purpose.
          *shrug*

Again, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.

Originally posted by LexLuthier View Post
          A friend of mine has play 7's for over 15 years. His custom guitars have a 25" scale, but he runs a really heavy string for the low A, usually around a .090. You can do it if you drill out the bridge and tuner hole.

I run a .070 on my 7's with 25.5 scale, helps gets rid of the buzzy, flappy B string and has a little more punch and definition. I've tried up to .090, but the heavier the string, the more the low string is out of balance tonally with the rest of the strings.

I have a 28" scale baritone for the chuggy low tuned metal stuff, but I don't like playing lead on it. Also, not so good for more intricate chordal work, since some of the stretches can be too wide for my hand.
          That is huge! Doesn't a gauge that big make fast picking and things difficult? Or it just takes a little getting used to?
          Last edited by Argos; 05-22-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

That is huge! Doesn't a gauge that big make fast picking and things difficult? Or it just takes a little getting used to?
            Not for me, but then I've always used heavier wound strings. My friend can shred like a MF'er, and that cable he uses doesn't seem to bother him.

Comment

u can do it no problem. Just buy some 12s or 13s and do it. But tune it B F# D A E B. Tuning the 2nd string to G would cause problems with scales and shit.

Comment

I'll do it this weekend, i'll keep you apprised

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                  u can do it no problem. Just buy some 12s or 13s and do it. But tune it B F# D A E B. Tuning the 2nd string to G would cause problems with scales and shit.
                  Exactly, that's what I meant (I think). But I believe you listed the string order backwards, it will be:

BEADF#B

And that's called B standard, right?

As far as string gauges... well, like I said, I use 12's, and I'm kinda used now to the thicker low string (.52), feels natural. But I don't see me going any "thicker" than that, not at all. It will be like playing on a bass string. I mean, I honestly don't know how a guitar tuned to B would feel with such a thick string (say .60, .70, or even .90), but as far as for .52 it's pretty balanced already. Have you ever tried palm muting a BASS? I think it would probably feel like that... even if you tune down to A. I dunno, just guessing. Maybe if what you wanna play is Korn style, or shred (I mean, shredding actually doesn't necesarily mean "metal"), then palm muting it's not that BIG. But if you wanna play metal, at least for me, I wouldn't go with thicker strings, I mean, not thicker than "maybe" .56, which I tried and hated, too thick. Oh and I'm not "used" to lighter strings, when I played the guitar tuned to standard tuning, I always used 9's or 10's, I mean, I'm not one of those "I only use 8's" or "they told me there's an Italian company that does 7's" kinda guy, so I'm not biased.

Oh and I play death/thrash metal.

Comment

carpel tunnel is going to come back and kick you guys in the nuts one of these day, why do you think that all the old guys here use 9's and 10's. go look at the many " which strings topic. as we speak i am making the transition from erinie ball 52- 10, standard to 10 standard
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Carpal tunnel is the result of shitty technique, not string gauge.

Comment

it can also be the result of the work environment, working on computers all the time...etc. i havent seen a doctor but i started having Carpal Tunnel symptoms a while back and have tried to keep it in check by keeping my wrists as straight as possible when doing things like typing on the computer, working, etc. my hands hurt every once in a while, usually a dull ache, and i have decreased strength every once in a while as well, but it doesnt hinder my ability to play guitar even when i used big strings (10-54 in standard) i didnt have any problems. but i switched to lighter gauges and as a side effect i play with much less effort. i use 11-50 in B standard and it works out quite well!
                        My metal band Lucian Scott
                        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                        Available Now!
                        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

*talks out of his ass*

Comment

Okay...

So why aren't the majority of bass players crippled with CTS?

Plus, the lower tuning doesn't result in extremely high string tension with a heavy gauge like it does with a standard tuned guitar.
                            Last edited by Argos; 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                              carpel tunnel is going to come back and kick you guys in the nuts one of these day, why do you think that all the old guys here use 9's and 10's. go look at the many " which strings topic. as we speak i am making the transition from erinie ball 52- 10, standard to 10 standard
                              notice how i said standard......... because most of them are still young, and many will not bitch and moan about their wrist to the world.

oh yeah bass and guitar are two different monsters, men will actually play with their fingers not with picks. thats why

Comment

Ok i just detuned my guitar to B yesterday with .12 strings and it worked out quite well. Needed some adjustments to the springs and the truss rod but its all set up ok now.
                                The only thing i noticed is that it sounds duller than before, less high's i think, as if the tone knob is turned down. Any possible fixes for this (pickup height, use 0.11 strings?).

Comment

Working...
                                X