No announcement yet.

Compareable Seymour Duncan pickup to the J-90C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The J90C in my 1989 Charvel Fusion Deluxe kicks ass! Why get a Seymour Duncan pickup when you can have the real thing and a lot cheaper?

And yes, The Duncan Distortion is definitely not the J90C. The J90C have more of a wah or vowel in it. Think "Bark at the Moon". I've never had a Duncan Custom, but I think that would be closer to the J90C.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the J-90C that was in the guitar to a JB a few years ago because I was getting microphonic feedback with it. Someone working in the local music store suggested that. The JB sounds good but the guitar doesn't seemed to have the crunch it used to have. I was thinking the Duncan Distortion or the Duncan Custom would give me back some of that crunch.

Comment

The Distortion would be closer to a J90C. The Custom is a great PU - my favorite of Duncans - but is more like a J80C. Which, come to think of it, is my favorite Jackson PU.

Comment

The Distortion it is. Thanks!

Comment

I have SD Distortion on my Ran Custom and J-92C (with JE-1200) on KV Pro...sounds very similiar but J-92C needs that JE-1200 to produce crunching sound.

Comment

I think that guy that played with Ozzy for a while, Joe something, puts eighties Jackson pickups in his vintage Fenders.

Personally I´ve never been fond of the various J50´s, but at least the J90C is pretty cool!

Comment

I love the J80C in my Model 6. It needs to be run with a boost to give me the gain I need, but talk about evil harmonics!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricker View Post
                  The Distortion it is. Thanks!
                  I don't think so-I have a Distortion in my 750XL and it sounds nothing like a J90C. The J90C is more "open" with more "wah", but the Duncan Distortion definitely CRUNCHES! A lot harder than the J90C.

Comment

Would the Duncan Custom be a closer match then? I'm not looking for an exact match but which Duncan pickup is the most similar.

Comment

I think so by the specs, but everyone else disagrees with me. I've never had a Duncan Custom. My Duncan Distortion rules.

I'd say get the Duncan Distortion not to be the same as the J90C, but just because it's a kick ass pickup.

But I hear tons of great things about the Duncan Custom as well. Either pickup would be great, as well as a USA J90C.

Comment

I'm going to get the Distortion. Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Working...
                        X