X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need serious help with wiring

"what do you mean with "shaping signal"
    does the pups sound different depending on the wiring?"

the tone control only rolls of teh high frequencys so that the pickup has more of a bass tone.

Most common hard rock/metal configuration has always been just the bridge humbucker straight to a volume pot and output jack

Comment

it's such a mess!
      theres a thick white cable coming from the humbucker. and theres 4 cables inside it. red, white, black and blue and theres also a nickel-coloured cable around all the small ones. kinda hard to explain. ill see if i can get a pic. wait a sec

Comment

thanks man. i owe you one

how should i wire the neck pup to make it work?
        maybe i should have mentioned that earlier, sorry

Comment

I'm sending you a revised version now!

Comment

thanks man!
            i really appreciate it

i'll contact you if i get into further problems [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Best of luck to you Mate! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey breadfan, believe it or not, that is not a home made graphic. I have seen a number of Charvettes with that graphic. Thought you might like to know.

Good luck with the wiring. I have mine wired with the single coils disconnected, so it's just the humbucker, tone control, volume, output jack.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

its not homemade? cool
                  but it looks homemade on some spots. maybe just a poor paintjob lol

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Breadfan:
                    its not homemade? cool
                    but it looks homemade on some spots. maybe just a poor paintjob lol

thanks!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You don't think they sent those Charvettes to Dan for the graphics do you??? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Be sure and tell us how it turned out and if you have any other questions as well!

Viktor [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Of course!
                        I gonna start with it now

Comment

Ninja! I need your help again.
                          My pickup selector must be an older model or something because it doesnt look like the one in the diagram at all!
                          Look at this:

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Dudes! I fucked it up!
                            When I turn the vol knob down to zero, you can still heard the guitar through the amp. it works more like a tone knob than a vol. fuccckkkkk
                            Plus the humbucker is noicy and sounds _very_ thin! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Take this one step at a time (I hope you're good with a soldering iron [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), and get only the humbucker working. This will allow you to avoid the PITA of wiring the 5-way switch (for now).

First, you need to answer some questions:
                              - How many wires are coming from the humbucker? Look closely; there may be several wires (and a shield) in a single cable.
                              - Do you have a multimeter?

Second, go to Radio Shack and buy a 250K pot (for the tone) and a .047mfd capacitor (also for the tone). Even if you don't want to adjust your tone, you still need the cap to bleed off some of the high end. If you don't, the pickup will sound "thin".

It sounds like a) you're only using one coil of the humbucker (or the two coils are out of phase), b) you don't have a filter cap in the circuit, and c) you wired the volume pot wrong (although 500K is usually the right choice for a humbucker). Of course, it might just be a crappy pickup. Not all humbuckers sound "good".

To get you started, the first thing you need to is identify the ground wire from the pickup. Separate all of the wires from the pickup. If two are twisted together, write down which ones, then separate them. Take your multimeter and find out which wire is connected to the pickup chassis. There should be only one. This is your ground wire. Write it down. Next, find the other end of the ground wire. Clip one lead of the meter to the ground wire, then touch each of the other wires. One of the wires will show a resistance; that's the "hot" wire for the primary coil. Write it down. The other two wires are the secondary coil. Write them down. Twist the hot wire from the primary coil together with one of the wires from the secondary coil (either wire, but you might be changing it, so don't make a permanent connection yet).

Hold your volume pot to that the 3 lugs are facing you and the shaft is pointing down.

Connect the hot wire from the secondary coil and one lead from your capacitor to the lug on the left.

Connect the center lug to the tip terminal of your plug jack.

Connect the sleeve terminal of the plug jack, the shield from the pickup cable (if it has one), the pickup ground wire, the other end of the capacitor, the right hand lug of the pot, and the pot casing together (this is your common ground). You don't have to wire them all together in one big gob of solder on the pot casing. Try this instead: solder a couple of inches of wire to the right hand lug on the pot, bend the lug back until it touches the case, then solder the lug to the case. Take the other end of this wire, and connect it to the cap, the pickup ground, and the jack sleeve (you can use a wire nut).

You're done; plug it in and turn it up.

If it still sounds thin, you might have the wires on the secondary coil reversed. If that's the case, disconnect the hot lead from the primary coil from the secondary coil wire, and disconnect the hot lead from the secondary coil from the pot. Take the wire that was connected to the pot and connect it to the hot lead from the primary coil. Take the lead that was connected to the primary coil and connect it to the pot. Try it again. It should be better now.

You now have a single humbucker with a fixed tone circuit (the cap).

After this is straightened out, wire up your tone pot so you can adjust the tone. Disconnect the capacitor from the common ground connection (leave the other lead connected to the volume pot). Connect the free lead of the capacitor to the left lug of the tone pot (lugs toward you, shaft pointing down). Run a new wire from the center lug of the tone pot to your main ground connection. Bend the center lug of the tone pot back until it touches the pot case, then solder it.

Congratulations! You now have a humbucker with full volume and tone control.

For more info, look at the aforementioned http://guitarelectronics.com or http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...faqdescr.shtml

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks man [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X