Gotoh locking trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atilla View Post
    Here's the big question: If they're priced almost the same, why go with anything but an OFR? At least, since Ibanez hasn't made the ZR trem an aftermarket item...
    In my case, I prefer the feel of the Gotoh. It's just as stable as any OFR I've had. And as stated above, depending on where you are in the world, the Gotohs can be cheaper.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
      The Gotoh´s are good, but I can´t see why anyone would replace a OFR with one.
      Ask John Suhr. He's said a number of times that they are switching to the Gotoh's over an OFR because of increasing quality problems with the OFRs in recent times.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
        Do any of you know this Gotoh locking tremolo? What's your experience with it? Any good?

Looks like a mixture of OFR, lo-pro edge and the original edge

I'd go with an OFR.

"High stability tremolo system" sounds cheesy to me
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

The ZR seems like a great idea

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
            Yeah, I tried one on an Ibanez S Prestige and it was sweeeeet. This might be heresy in these parts, but the guitar itself was nice, too. Would of bought it if it had inlays on the fretboard instead of just a squiggle at the 12th fret.
            Absolutely! A good friend of mine has a Korean S model, and it is very nice - right up there with my japanese Charvels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
              Great trem. I have one on my Model 6. Rock solid.

Sanctuary:

I'm interested in getting the gotoh floyd rose for my model 6, and was wondering if I could get some feedback from you before pulling the trigger....

Recently saw this on ebay. Although I'm not willing to spend $200 on an original floyd, $125 seems reasonable if it's quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

How easy was the swap?

Is it pretty much pop and string? Or is there any adjustments I need to know about.

Hows the quality? and do you by any chance know where it's made?

I went to my local guitar shop today, and the generic $70 lic floyds were just garbage. Finish, rough edges, material, feel, etc. Looked like cheap molded metal.

How do you like the feel? Noticeable difference between this and the JT6? Whats you r personal option on it?

And I noticed you got the chrome one. I can’t decide. Chrome would look new and cool, but I’m afraid it might not sync with the black hardware. Can’t really tell from the your pic, but do you think the chrome looks good.

Here’s the guitar I recently acquired:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...200#post919200

edit: ohhh and ps ..... how are your bindings so white? Mine are piss yellow lol

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk333 View Post
                edit: ohhh and ps ..... how are your bindings so white? Mine are piss yellow lol
                It's the clearcoat covering the bindings that has yellowed.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                  Looks like a mixture of OFR, lo-pro edge and the original edge

I'd go with an OFR.

"High stability tremolo system" sounds cheesy to me
                  The only reason I'm asking is, I know a guy who has started his own little guitar building shop and he's using the Gotoh as the standard mounted bridge. I didn't know anything about it and wanted to find out
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk333 View Post
                    Sanctuary:

I'm interested in getting the gotoh floyd rose for my model 6, and was wondering if I could get some feedback from you before pulling the trigger....

Recently saw this on ebay. Although I'm not willing to spend $200 on an original floyd, $125 seems reasonable if it's quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

How easy was the swap?

Is it pretty much pop and string? Or is there any adjustments I need to know about.

Hows the quality? and do you by any chance know where it's made?

I went to my local guitar shop today, and the generic $70 lic floyds were just garbage. Finish, rough edges, material, feel, etc. Looked like cheap molded metal.

How do you like the feel? Noticeable difference between this and the JT6? Whats you r personal option on it?

And I noticed you got the chrome one. I can’t decide. Chrome would look new and cool, but I’m afraid it might not sync with the black hardware. Can’t really tell from the your pic, but do you think the chrome looks good.

Here’s the guitar I recently acquired:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...200#post919200

I can't really say for sure since the Gotoh was already on there when I got the guitar. I personally would have used a black Gotoh too (and may very well get one in the future). But it's using the stock posts and opening up the back-door, there's nothing different inside. IMHO, it should just be a straight swap. The Gotohs appear to be extremely well made - I have zero issues with this one and the guitar has had a hard life. Certainly feels a hell of a lot better than the JT-6 on my other Model 6. Nothing cheap-feeling about the material used. The bindings (neck) appear white in that picture but are actually yellow. Have a look at the headstock and you'll see a truer colour. The clear-coat eventually yellows leading to that tinge. I also believe it's the way that the clear-coat reacts to sun-light that causes this yellowing, so if you keep your guitar (too late now) away from UV light, it may not yellow as quicker.
                    Last edited by Sanctuary; 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Bros dont let bros buy Gotohs!
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Isn´t it that the Gotoh block is made of steel instead of brass with Schaller and OFR.

IIRC Gotohs are the most expensive over here.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                          Bros dont let bros buy Gotohs!
                          Have you actually tried one?

I'd love if every one of these stupid-ass comments had something to back them up like "oh the knife edges wear quicker than an OFR and I can show this" or some shit like that. But no, all we get is "user preferences" with no actual "data".

The truth is that Floyd Rose aren't what they used to be any more. The parent company is HMG, who are known for cutting corners and moving production to China. Time will tell...
                          Last edited by Sanctuary; 05-06-2007, 12:14 AM.

Comment

got a Gotoh Floyd on my Model 2 and had no problems with it in all the years I've owned it.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

the musicmans EVH have gotoh trems on them and in my opinion they are at least as good as the ofr, both have rolled steed underplates (the schaller licensed is cast), for cosmetics sake I would prefer the OFR (never had any problems with them) but I would not be bothered if a guitar came with a goth (my larrivee solidbody has one)

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone.

Looks like I'm gonna go ahead and order it!

I went to my local guitar shop today, and played a American Peavey HP special. It had the same tremolo, except that it was branded Peavey.

It was pretty solid. I'll agree that it does not look as nice cosmetically as the original or the Ibanez Edge. But it's one of the only floyd's I was able to find with a 42 mm block. Hey if it's good enough for Eddie, than its good enough for me .... lol

I'll let everyone know how it is, when it gets here.

Comment

Working...
                                X