Tune 4th String
    Check 1st, 3rd Strings Tuning
    Tune 2nd String
    Check 1st, 3rd, 4th Strings Tuning
    Tune 5th String
    Check 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2nd Strings Tuning
    Tune 6th String
    Check 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, and 5th Strings Tuning

That way when you tune one string it should knock the others flat/sharp as much.
    Good advice!

Comment

Is that first as in 1st string (while holding the guitar, the string farthest away from you?)

Comment

Re: tuning method for floating bridges. I give my preferred method in this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49044

That always works great.

Comment

The thing is the two strings when not played together are in tune properly, its when you play the g and b string together when it starts to go sour

Comment

Originally posted by elite83 View Post
            The thing is the two strings when not played together are in tune properly, its when you play the g and b string together when it starts to go sour
            Is it possible that your action is set just a little too low, and when you strike both G and B strings at the same time that one of them frets out? I would assume that your tech verified neck curvature and action, or at least eye-balled it when setting it up for you.

I keep all of my Jacksons setup for as low action as they can take, with my favorite axe having a sensitive neck that has to be fine tuned every 6 months or it frets out really bad on the low E string.

Maybe a second opinion from another tech is in the future for you. I have found reputable techs overlook issues before that another tech finds. They are my babies...nobody is going to care about their condition more than me.

Comment

I avoid most tuning problems on my Floyds by changing the strings in pairs, and retuning between each set of two. I started doing this due to there being two strings under each lockdown on the nut. Seems to work well for me- I don't have any troubles with string stretching, either. (Ernie Ball Super Slinkys and double locking Floyds)

Comment

Its not fretting out, its weird, like I said, the 2 strings sound fine with the 1st and 4th strings, just not together, I can't afford to take it to another tech just yet though

Comment

Are you a heavy handed player ie agressive?Maybe you have an agressive attack and are pulling your strings out of tune by just fretting, maybe tune a cent before proper pitch on the offending strings and that might cure your problem.I have a few customers that are so agressive the can't play a thin style neck(Ibanez/Jackson)without pulling the guitar out of tune.One guy can't play a floyd style bridge because he pulls it out of tune.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I don't think thats really a problem, though I will check my attack next time I play, like I said, everything plays in tune but the 2 strings together

Comment

Well, I don't think it has to do with my playing, if I tune with a tuner and then jsut wing it by ear I can get it sounding ok, I plan on having the pickups swapped out next week (with a different tech) so I'll have him look at it then and see if he can tell me what the prob is, anyways, thanks for all the help, any more suggestions on problems it could be or naything else would be appreciated, this forum is very nice, a lot of my questions about floyds have already been answered in other topics, so anyways, just like to say thanks for the help so far

Comment

Lock the locking nut tighter, check the intonation screws
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                          Lock the locking nut tighter, check the intonation screws
                          Do not overtighten the locking nut. It doesn't take much for the threads to go. Just a word of caution.

Comment

Ah, ok, so check the intonation screws for what?

Comment

To see if they are snug and not loose causing a sympathetic vibration.Also to make sure that the saddle is not moving.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ah, ok I'll check soon

Comment

Working...
                                X