Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Designed vs. J90C

Originally posted by Ace:
    When we make pickups at my shop we always wind the neck and bridge pickups opposite for a given guitar, and the polarity has to be taken into account as well. And I can't think of any Gibsons or Fenders with the EXACT same pickups in the neck or bridge. If you look at many guitars with two humbuckers you can see that the bridge pickup has screwheads on the bridge pickup has screw heads on the bridge side and slugs on the neck side, and the neck pickup is opposite. The best way to see if it is going to work is to try it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gibson Les Paul. Fender Stratocaster. At least the standard models. The buckers are just flipped around. Yes, there is benefit to winding the pups differently, but I was just saying that for most of the electric guitar's history (and still, on some models), this wasn't done, and pickup height was the big control of sound adjustment. *In terms of polarity*, all Dimarzio buckers are wound like all other Dimarzios; all Duncans are wound like all other Duncans. Only separate single coils are wound differently (and on a 3 pup model like a strat, the neck & bridge are wound the same).

As to the original poster's question, only you can make that call. Any of the pups we're discussing is hotter than a standard PAF, which many people have put in their bridge position. So the only thing you can do is try it and see what you think. That's the worst thing about pickups, really - you pretty much have to TRY it in your axe to find out anything! I'd bet that if the bridge DD is audibly hotter than the J90, the neck one will be pretty close TO the J90. Calibrated pups differ, but they're not usually WAY different like a PAF and an Invader, for instance. So I'd say try it. After all, VH got some cookin' sounds with a PAF...

Comment

Working...
    X