Bolts ons vs set necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bolts ons vs set necks

Sounds like a bolt-on to me, but I could be wrong. I like the tone, whatever it is. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

fender guitar i tried was pretty nice ($1200), but they are bolt ons
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You just figured this out??? And you had the Audacity to come to the conclusion that set necks are better in the same posting??

This has got to be a troll...

Comment

And I am almost positive you are lumping together set necks and neck thru as the same thing. Set necks are basically bolt-ons necks that were glued in place instead of bolted.

rich

Comment

ok^

Comment

I'll be the very bad evil man, and say that neckthrus rule. A Ferrari and a Tercel will both get you from point A to point B, but you can stick the Tercel up yer ass, cause I aint riding in that hunk of shit................

Comment

And you drive...?

Comment

....a Ferrari, of course. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

i have noticed a tone difference.

i have noticed that bolt on's seem to have a little more presence and a more loose low end (or flub, which some players are actually going for). while neckthroughs seem to have a tighter low end and less presesnce.

when i record with the pod (ok don't give me hell for that) i have to keep the bass knob at 12 O'clock for bolt ons. but can goose it to 2:30-3 O'clock with neckthroughs while still maintaining a smooth and even sound.

other than that. everything seems equal. it's just a matter of personal preference.

~JW
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2:
                    I'll be the very bad evil man, and say that neckthrus rule. A Ferrari and a Tercel will both get you from point A to point B, but you can stick the Tercel up yer ass, cause I aint riding in that hunk of shit................
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And a moron 16 year old will wrap the Ferrari around a telephone pole, while Mario A. will kick ass in the Tercel.

This is only ONE factor of many in guitar building. In 20 years people will laugh at you for a fool for playing "a guitar made of WOOD?!?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                      Sounds like a bolt-on to me, but I could be wrong. I like the tone, whatever it is. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, you're right BM (kinda). Actually, it used to be a neck-thru until a little bout with my garage floor (long story) but anyway I put the neck back on with wood screws and some Elmers and now it sounds as good as it ever did. I guess it is actually a "screw-on" now though huh. The only problem I have now is when I play in the upper registers my thumb keeps getting cut on the screw heads. Maybe I need to file them down, I'll work on that later.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Well I listened too and thought it was a neck thru you were playing.It had that mellow sound a neck thru has.So I guess I was close anyway.Cool tune. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's the spank. Bolt-ons, for no reason whatsoever, ALWAYS sound more percussive than neckthrus. Apparently this applies to broken and repaired neckthrus as well. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

At least BM knew I was just joking! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Actually I played my model 88 on that one. And no, I have never repaired a neck-thru with wood screws!!! (yet [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Comment

The truth is that there is not and never will be a huge perceivable difference in the sound of a neck-thru, set-neck, or bolt-on. If any of you guys are going to try to convince me otherwise you better start posting some clips that prove it.

Comment

Model 88 huh OK well I've been wrong many times so thats nothing new!!Am I to assume it was a J-95 I was hearing? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X