No announcement yet.

Trem spring ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a stupid question here...but what difference does arranging the springs differently make? Isn't it all the same tension at the block end?
    Scott

Comment

Actually no...
      Try it
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

My Charvel is set up /|\ and I love it. tI feels pretty smooth to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          Maybe a stupid question here...but what difference does arranging the springs differently make? Isn't it all the same tension at the block end?
          nope...it makes a difference. its all personal preference really though.
          My metal band Lucian Scott
          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
          Available Now!
          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
            Are springs for vintage style trems the same as the ones in floyd ones? ....
            Yes and no. They are interchangeable, and mixing ´won´t cause major issues, but the springs usually in the box with a Locking trem are about 25% stiffer

Comment

I have mine set up as |\ with the slanted spring on the treble side for a bit more tension on that side of the trem. I currently use 9-42 strings. You don't want to have so many springs that the springs are "closed" (i.e. the coils are touching each other) when the trem is at rest or when you do a pull up. If the springs are closed, you will never get it to return to pitch properly after using the trem. The springs should be somewhat stretched when at rest. Depending on the guage of strings you use and how you like the trem to feel, this is usually 2 to 4 springs. Springs do vary a bit from one manufacturer to another so these are no hard rules, except that you never want the springs to be closed at rest. I prefer the feel of 2 springs with 9-42's, the trem just feels more "lively"... don't know how else to say it. The JT580LP in my DK2 also returns to pitch better using 2 springs than with 3.
              My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Hey cbope interesting tip about closed coils. I've never really thought about that, think I'll give it a shot. Your setup sounds closer to mine in terms of string gauge. The diffrence here is I'm using a wilk VS100 which I like very much but in my situation (l l l config) the treble side is very slightly higher than the bass side, with the bass side being level. Does the angled spring on the treble side in your config compensate for the diffrent string tension?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxman View Post
                  Hey cbope interesting tip about closed coils. I've never really thought about that, think I'll give it a shot. Your setup sounds closer to mine in terms of string gauge. The diffrence here is I'm using a wilk VS100 which I like very much but in my situation (l l l config) the treble side is very slightly higher than the bass side, with the bass side being level. Does the angled spring on the treble side in your config compensate for the diffrent string tension?
                  Yeah, the angled spring gives a bit better balance to the trem due to the treble strings having higher tension. I had trouble with my trem coming back to pitch after I got the guitar. It had the usual 3 springs in the /|\ configuration. The coils were not really closed, but the springs were not stretched as much as I would like to see. So I removed a spring and set up the springs in /| position, re-floated the trem and now it comes back in tune really well. I got the idea from a friend of Roope Latvala, although he usually runs 3 springs in ||\ config.
                  My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Working...
                  X