Locking Nut / Floyd Rose Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    Ahhh yes... the SL2 and the RR2... blank Ebony boards.
    I forgot about them things.
    In that case, yea, you're gonna need a 42mm licensed nut, not an R4 Floyd nut.

Or you can just replace the whole thing with a real Floyd.
    It will fit with a minor mod to the nut shelf.
    +1
    Also, check with Jacksonite here on the board for OFR's and parts. Scott at VWall guitars as well.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Correct, it's the SL2, not the SL2H. Dude, where did you get the picture of the red SL2 from? That's the pic from the ebay auction I bought this from...

So if I upgrade to a OFR, I'd have to modify the nut shelf + purchase the unit outright. How much do shops usually charge for that sort of thing?

It's definately the nut that's stripped out. I found little shavings of chrome plating in the threads of the screw that I pulled out today. The screw is good though.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Shaving the nut shelf would take a good tech about 10 minutes.
        A great one could do it in 5.
        A Floyd nut is a bit taller than most licensed nuts.
        What part of Phoenix do you live in?
        The shop I go to (A-Z Music - 36th St. and Bell Rd.) charges about $20-$25.
        Hell... if you live close enough, bring it by my house and I'll do it for ya.
        -Rick

Comment

yea...i made the mistake of stripping a screw (thankfully it wasnt the nut) on my DX10. got a few extra screws and its good as new. i ALWAYS use the short handle of the allen wrench to tighten...never the long end (thats how i stripped it!) you dont want to have too much leverage. as was stated...finger tigthen, then give it a 1/8th to 1/4 turn...it actually shouldnt go any further if you use the short end to tighten with.

you should never have to really crank down on the floyd screws to lock anything...just for future reference!
          and make sure that when you play with the Floyd (licensed anyways...my OFR comes back perfectly after a dive or pull up! amazing!) is when you dive it down and return, use the fine tuners to tune it back to pitch. then you can do pull ups, but DONT RETUNE! just dive it back past neutral a little and bring it back up and it should be in perfect tune. most licensed trems do not come back 100% after either a dive or a pull up...you have to tune for one or the other (i prefer dives) and then always do the dive or pull up THEN youll be in tune again.

just a bit of Licensed Floyd info there for ya

and as for stretching strings? i dont...i just do a few simple bends and retune until they stay in tune, then lock the nut. ive seen some people almost pick the guitar up by the strings to "stretch" them...IMO that is not necessary, and ive never had a problem with tuning using my method. if you look at Steinberger trems or the Floyd Speedloader, they both have strings that are a set length. dont you think that if they "stretched" they would never stay in tune? think about it for a little bit.
          Last edited by soc_monki; 04-16-2007, 09:01 PM.
          My metal band Lucian Scott
          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
          Available Now!
          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I live near I10 and the 101 on the west side of town.

Comment

Originally posted by gravol View Post
              I would still check the screw itself before replacing the whole nut.
              Same here. When I started playing in the '80s, I used to strip those screws out all the time from overtightening. I'd just go to a guitar shop and get new ones.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by anothersomeone View Post
                I live near I10 and the 101 on the west side of town.
                You're WAY on the other side of town.
                Make a run to either one of these shops:
                Precision Guitar
                (602) 265-7760
                4442 N 7th Ave SUITE # 6
                or
                Bizarre Guitar
                (602) 248-9297
                4322 N 7th Ave.

They both have great repair guys. I used to take all my guitars to Precision many moons ago. Top notch work.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  You're WAY on the other side of town.
                  They both have great repair guys. I used to take all my guitars to Precision many moons ago. Top notch work.
                  Yeah, I hear this ALOT. The only thing I can find out here is Guitar Center, which I've never been too fond of.

Thanks for the list of phone #'s, etc. I'll give them a call!

Comment

Working...
                  X