inexpensive recording mics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding his question, but to me it seems he wants a room sound recorded which would require an omni directional mic or PZM mic. Condensors and dynamic mics are for close recording or individual instruments and he said he didn't want to do that. Am I missing something here?

If omni directional the best bang for your buck is a pair of Behringers 8000 measurement mics. Flat response and a pair gets you a decent stereo sound. Get a pair under $100, done.
    Nope, you're not missing anything, that's exactly what I thought I said I was looking for. Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

Is the ECM8000 the one you are talking about? They are 59 € each, pretty cheap and well within my original budget.
    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

What about the Behringer B-5? It's just a little more than the ECM8000 but seems like it might be more versatile for other applications since it can be omni or cardioid by changing the capsule.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

For what it's worth, you can make excellent rehearsal recordings with one or two condensor mics, preferably large diaphragm ones, preferably switched for omni.
        The only problem is sound pressure; If you play loud as hell and in a small room, even a large diaphragm (membrane) condensor mic will not cope with the physical air pressure and the result is distortion, which can't be fixed by dialing on any knobs.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Go to the H-C recording forum they can probably help you. Also what kind of mic's are availible in Finland?

Comment

The sound levels of a live band would probably fry a ribbon mic.... Put a Ribbon mic up to a PA to see what I mean if you're curious.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
              Go to the H-C recording forum they can probably help you. Also what kind of mic's are availible in Finland?
              Basically, almost anything is available, the main issue can be the price since this is a small country with only 5.2 million people (relatively small number of customers compared to USA for example). AKG, Shure, Sennheiser, etc. Most of these companies (except Shure) are European anyway. I order most of my music gear from Germany where prices are lower (much larger market than Finland). We're part of EU so there's no customs or duty, only VAT (similar to sales tax in USA). Unfortunately, Finland has one of the highest VAT rates at 22%.

Comment

Working...
              X