Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do YOU find unique in string brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya know, I've used D Addario almost exclusively for 20 years.
    I have just come into the realization that I'm not too pleased with them.
    They have also seemed to change over the last 2-3 years,. They don't feel like the used to.
    The seem more coarse and take longer to stretch out 1-3 than they used to.
    Now that I'm playing out again 2-3 nights a week, I don't feel That D addarios are reliable strings any longer.
    They have def changed IMO.

I've tried many other strings and haven't found a love yet.
    I'm going to try out the DR strings.
    Anyone know what one's are good>?
    Regular or extra life???

Comment

I use Blue Steel gauge .013 .017 .030 .042 .052 .060, tuned to C. The strings last months...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        How do you stretch a string before putting it on?
        boil it in water like EVH! (correct me if i'm wrong lol)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
        http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

I thought Eddie just boiled them in water after they were played for awhile. The boiling water gets rids of the dirt so you can resuse the strings again.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought Eddie just boiled them in water after they were played for awhile. The boiling water gets rids of the dirt so you can resuse the strings again.
            I've always wondered if that is something else that Eddie made up just to throw people off? He storied a lot back in the day.

Back on topic, I find all of the D'Addario comments interesting. They have been my string of choice for many, many years. But I stocked up a couple years back and haven't tried some that were recently manufactured. Strange that people seem to think they are different now than they were in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by evolutionised View Post
              boil it in water like EVH! (correct me if i'm wrong lol)
              EVH: "Yeah, Fender 150XLs. I stretch them to death. With that new Rose thing, I boil the strings so they stretch, because if you just put them on and clamp it down, the strings stretch out on the guitar. I just take a pack and let it boil for 20 minutes in the hot water. And then I dry them in the sun, because otherwise they rust. But I only use them one night anyway, so who cares if they rust?" - 1980

EDIT: I'm gonna try this. . Btw, what stops the strings from rusting if you sun-dry them?
              Last edited by Mario8672; 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM.
              Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
              Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
              Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                I've always wondered if that is something else that Eddie made up just to throw people off? He storied a lot back in the day.
                Yeah, he did seem to make shit up. I remember him saying something about he didn't have much money and didn't want to spend a lot on strings, so he'd boil them after they were played for a bit and got dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                  EVH: "Yeah, Fender 150XLs. I stretch them to death. With that new Rose thing, I boil the strings so they stretch, because if you just put them on and clamp it down, the strings stretch out on the guitar.
                  Everyone knows you're supposed to stretch the strings well before locking the nut down.

Comment

D'addario user here, might try something else soon.

Yeah they've changed in the past few years.... their pro-arté's are still excellent for classical guitar tho.
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Everyone knows you're supposed to stretch the strings well before locking the nut down.
                      Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                      Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                      Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Ernie Ball Super Slinky - Break very easily at the ball joint when you use them with a Kahler trem and do moderate bending.

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars View Post
                          I'm going to try out the DR strings.
                          Anyone know what one's are good>?
                          Regular or extra life???
                          Good question. There are so many different flavors. What's the best.

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com
                          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

DR "Tite Fit" are their round core wire strings.
                            DR "High Beams" are their hex core wire strings.

i prefer the way "Tite Fit"s feel under my fingers. the closest cheaper string to that feel are GHS Boomers.
                            Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 04-20-2007, 03:39 PM.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I tried DR Blues and they felt like old strings from the 60s. Maybe I will give them another shot.

I still like SITs and love Everly Rockers. The Rockers are half way between Boomers and XLs in feel and tone.

Comment

I currently use the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys on all my electrics- the only acoustic I have right now is a cheesy classical that I don't even know the brand name of. (great for light workouts of my hands- ya gotta love playing blues on one and doing crazy bends!)
                                Does anyone else remember Kaman Performers? I used to like those maybe 25 or so years ago....
                                Used the Super Bullets for a while but had breakage problems on light string guages. My hands are decently strong but my wrists are a bit messed up from all the skateboarding I used to do in the late '70s....so it's light guages for me to help out. I tried some Markleys before, but I didn't like the way they were guaged- weird sizes to me that didn't seem to feel quite right.

Comment

Working...
                                X