Intonation - am I too hard on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intonation - am I too hard on it?

you can also try putting a capo on the 1st fret & using the note & harmonic at the 13th fret. I know my SG would intonate much better like that. all of my other guitars it didnt make a difference.

btw you can put the capo anywhere just add 12frets & use the note / harmonic.

Comment

I usually tune to a D chord because I feel it is the hardest to intonate properly to. If my D chord sounds good than everything else is usually ok too.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
        you can also try putting a capo on the 1st fret & using the note & harmonic at the 13th fret. I know my SG would intonate much better like that. all of my other guitars it didnt make a difference.

btw you can put the capo anywhere just add 12frets & use the note / harmonic.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I’m definitely going to try that. My “new” sg’s previous owner was apparently a gorilla, and setting it up has been giving me fits.

Thanks!
        Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

buzz feiten is the answer. I have 5 andersons and all play perfectly in tune.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal:
            Buzz feiten + floyd = ?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can answer that!!!!
            Buzz Fetien + Floyd = a guitar that is perfectly intonated until you play it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes yes, but what about the locking nut? On the official page I saw just a non-floyd nuts.

Comment

Either way. As soon as you increase the pressure on the strings (fretting or bending), the Floyd will pull forward and you intonation is pretty much out the window. Is it enough to really be noticable? Most of the time no but the difference between Feiten and non-Feiten is really not noticable in most instances either. With that said, I prefer my guitars as close to perfect as possible. I just don't get wacky about it. Close is most of the time good enough.

Comment

I like your answer, hrhr [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I was afraid that you will start praising Buzz Feiten. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As I've said, I tuned it almost to the perfect pitch. Every string except low D is 0 green and 12 green. Anyway, when playing solos differences aren't noticeable but when playing powerdchord on last two strings I have to be very careful how much pressure do I cause on the fret. Anyway, the whole floyd system above 12 fret becomes very sensitive (I noticed that on other Prestige Ibanez guitar, RRs, etc.) so you have to have very still and calm finger. But some technique and slightly moving the hand left or right the problems are avoided.

I really don't like digging into my guitar if not necessary. As I've seen Feiten installs the way that you drill new holes and calculate scales and lenghts... Ah, that's not for me at the time. If my Jackson would suck, then I'd do that, but since she's very ok and the only strings that is not is total perfect pitch, is lower D.

I was playing later and noticed that anywhere is possible to have disharmonized chord, but above 10 or 12 is the disharmony easier because of the small spaces between frets. Anyway, I use my above-12th-fret part of freatboard for soloing only so I'm in panic mode anymore [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help, jgcable, j2379, Black Mariah, toejam and others.

Comment

by JgCAblE: Close is most of the time good enough
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hell John, it's "ALL OF THE TIME GOOD ENOUGH" where I come from!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Buzz feiten + floyd = ?

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                      Buzz feiten + floyd = ?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can answer that!!!!
                      Buzz Fetien + Floyd = a guitar that is perfectly intonated until you play it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

There's absolutely no reason for a guitar to be intonated "as perfectly as possible" unless you've mastered the technique of never bending the strings when you fret chords, and you only apply the exact amount of pressure required to sound a note. Otherwise, you're wasting valuable practice time.

If your chords on the 6th string past the 12th fret sound out of tune, try playing them with the neck pickup and on the 5th string. Yes you get a slightly different tonality, but maybe you should work a few years in a factory without hearing protection so it won't matter as much [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As BM said, just intonate each string at the 12th fret, with the guitar in playing position, and then forget about it.

Even though a guitar can never be perfectly intonated, you have to just play and deal with it. If you constantly try to get a standard guitar perfectly in tune, you'll drive yourself insane.

Comment

Working...
                          X