No announcement yet.

Strat Tuning Help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even know wtf you guys are spending your time on, I just need some pointers, and obviously if I can't figure it out over a little while, I'll take it to a tech. Now you two jump to saying that I claimed that "I know how to do it all". I don't understand this place, it's called a Tech Q&A, I ask a question since I'm having trouble with it, and I have wise asses telling me I can't do shit w/out providing any tips themselves. I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna friggin cough up $100 just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      the thing is, a problem that can cause one string to go out of tune can be entirely different to one that causes a bunch of strings to all go out of tune.

Burn has a point. If you had been specific in your first post (which I thought you had been, focussing on your problematic B string), then you would have your answer by now. Everyone had been offering suggestions to fix your B string problem, and then it turns out halfway down the thread that all of your strings are going out of tune, which would suggest that a different solution is required. Now it's the e, b & g strings going out of tune - does that mean you're not having the same problem with your e, a & d strings?
      Look, I appreciate you since you're trying to help me out, but the whole point of my previous post was that, it's going out of tune in different ways everytime, it's not just the B, or anything. Like I've said, I'll be playing, hit a full bend on one of the high strings, then hear a click, and then that particular string would be flat. Then like I've also said, I notice the whole thing tends to go out of tune when I put it down, then pick it up later again. I don't have nut sauce atm, so I tried the old chapstick a bit on the saddles, nut, and string trees, doesn't seem to be doing much different. So I got the whammy on there, started pushing it down and pulling it up, and I can definately hear a "click" up there on the headstock.

Comment

Well check to see if the tuners are snug(the nuts on the face of the headstock)Just snug don't overtighten.Take the trem off and remove the saddles and tighten the 3 sustain block screws if they are loose.The ball end strings can be a problem if they have not seated all the way.You may have a burr on the baseplate where the strings make contact,or a burr in the string saddle pinching the string.
        The nut slots not cut properly can pinch a string and cause the clicking sound.I suppose the string tree cound have a burr as well check that.
        Just remember a vintage trem has its limits and it takes some grinding and shaping of the six mounting screw holes on the base plate to remove the flashing to get a trem of this kind to really work properly.Its a really crude design and takes some tweaking to work right.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

he back talked vita...........
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Seems you try to help him but he wants to argue about it.Just try everything mentioned and see if it fixes the problem simple as that.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have reviewed this entire posting and your problems are the clicking and the fact that all six strings go out of tune.

There are really only three main items that may be causing your problems. If they don't fix it you really are left with exchanging it our taking it somewhere to be repaired.

1. The clicking on the headstock is from the nut. Rub a pencil lead into the string grooves (pencil leads are made of graphite). It will change the pitch because the string is getting caught and tension changes when it pops loose (or catches).

2. It is very possible your strings are shot. You stated it was a demo model in the store. I have spent a lot of time trying to fix a guitar that wouldn't stay in tune and it was solved after putting on new strings. Strings stretch when new and will start to stretch again if you use them long enough without breaking them, maybe a string broke and was replaced with a used one off another guitar.

3. Tension changes on your bridge are causing all of the strings to go out of tune at the same time. Unless something is loose on the trem itself...it is most likely being caused by #1 and/or #2 above. Since all six strings rely on the same two or three springs for tension and are connected to the same plate, any tension changes in any of the strings cause the bridge to move and affect the tuning of all six strings at the same time.

If it still acts up after you fix the clicking and install new strings, it probably needs to go to a professional.

Comment

Working...
              X