Strat Tuning Help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm telling ya bro.

just do a google search, you'll have it in seconds. all guitar stores sell Big Bends or something similar.

you can always install locking tuners too, those really help tuning stability. if you don't make sure the strings are not binding in the nut, then locking tuners are a waste of money. the nut is primary.

which I tell my wife regularly
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

The nut if not cut right will cause the guitar to go out of tune.You need to polish the nut slots with 1000 grit sand paper or any dry lube like graphite.Big bends nut sauce is a fine product too.It sound like thats your problem.I doubt the trem is the problem.The clicking is the wound strings catching on a poorly cut nut slot,its really common on a strat style guitar.I doubt its the string tree I have never seen a string tree ever cause a problem.
      I have worked on tons of fender nuts that were not properly finished.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
        the nut is primary.

which I tell my wife regularly
        nice
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          The nut if not cut right will cause the guitar to go out of tune.You need to polish the nut slots with 1000 grit sand paper or any dry lube like graphite.Big bends nut sauce is a fine product too.It sound like thats your problem.I doubt the trem is the problem.The clicking is the wound strings catching on a poorly cut nut slot,its really common on a strat style guitar.I doubt its the string tree I have never seen a string tree ever cause a problem.
          I have worked on tons of fender nuts that were not properly finished.
          Thanks guys, I'll definately try the nut sauce if this problem occurs with my new one, however it's not the wound strings that's catching. They're the treble ones.

Comment

Whatever.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

any string can catch, not just wound strings.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Whatever.
                :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: Maybe the trem was not set up correctly out of the box. I just thought I would say something so I could get shot down too.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

If the guys at the shop you bought it at didnt seat the strings fully in the bridge it will slip and ping also. the fender bullet strings are designed for strat trems. They seat properly all the way in the sustain block. If they used someting differnt than the ender strings some times the ball ends move and slip up into the string slot more and need to be retightened. IT sounds like a trem issue and not the nut. Give each string a good yank at the brindge end and see if they're seated right. If not there's your problem.
                  Gil

Comment

actually joe's comment makes good sense
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

How many times are you going to change the story guy? First I hear B string, then it's all of them, now it's the treble side? Ok, apparently you aren't familiar with how to "properly" setup a guitar, and maybe it would be worth your change to have someone setup it up for you. Not an insult, but seriously.

Comment

Have you put new strings on it? I always put new strings on a guitar as soon as I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burn View Post
                          How many times are you going to change the story guy? First I hear B string, then it's all of them, now it's the treble side? Ok, apparently you aren't familiar with how to "properly" setup a guitar, and maybe it would be worth your change to have someone setup it up for you. Not an insult, but seriously.
                          I never changed the story once, I only added more details in later posts. I stated the B string as an example in the beginning, then added that all strings went out of tune, sparking my suspicions of the tremolo. The B string would be part of the treble side right? So what's new about that? I don't know what the hell you're trying to tell me, but everyone else's helped me alot with some great advice, while you somehow jump to the conclusion that I can't set up a guitar because I'm having some tuning issues. Please stay out of this.

Comment

the thing is, a problem that can cause one string to go out of tune can be entirely different to one that causes a bunch of strings to all go out of tune.

Burn has a point. If you had been specific in your first post (which I thought you had been, focussing on your problematic B string), then you would have your answer by now. Everyone had been offering suggestions to fix your B string problem, and then it turns out halfway down the thread that all of your strings are going out of tune, which would suggest that a different solution is required. Now it's the e, b & g strings going out of tune - does that mean you're not having the same problem with your e, a & d strings?
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Wow. Orchid. Your strat seems to be a hella-strat. Every Strat I own seems to work for me. US and all the world wide ones I own just need a little love. Does your trem lift about an 1/8 of an inch off the body? Are the springs at the right tension? Are the screws loose that hold the trem? Or are they too tight? You will drive yourself nuts if you can't figure it out yourself. Sounds like you need to pay a tech $100 to do what you can do yourself. I think we have been teched out. Deal with it.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                                Wow. Orchid. Your strat seems to be a hella-strat. Every Strat I own seems to work for me. US and all the world wide ones I own just need a little love. Does your trem lift about an 1/8 of an inch off the body? Are the springs at the right tension? Are the screws loose that hold the trem? Or are they too tight? You will drive yourself nuts if you can't figure it out yourself. Sounds like you need to pay a tech $100 to do what you can do yourself. I think we have been teched out. Deal with it.
                                Bravo!

Comment

Working...
                                X