new EMG configuration - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new EMG configuration - WOW!

Well, well. I've just swaped my 81 for a 85. It's late at night (Europe) so I can't crank it up, but it seems to be more rounded than 81. I can't say 100% I'm going to keep it that way (emg 60 in the neck). I didn't like the big difference between 81 and 60, both clean and overdriven. With 85 in bridge the difference is much smaller. I'm not sure if I can live without the bite of 81. I guess I have to try it for some time. So, I would call myself a possible convert [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it, you guys are right. I just switched the pups in 750XL to the 85 at the bridge and I LOVE it!!! Thanks guys!

Don

Comment

Here on the JCF, the 85 in the bridge is like a forbidden pleasure or something... few seem to know that it totally kicks ass in the bridge. Well, if they're happy with the 81 in the bridge, that's fine. But I'll never go back after having the 85 in the bridge! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, given that we keep 85 in the bridge, what is the best companion for it. I guess whe can choose between 81, 85, 89, and 60. Currently I have 85b/60n in my soloist. I'm thinking about putting 81 in neck, but I'm afraid it may be too muddy. Your opinions, here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I'm only gonna say this once more:
            the 81 is superior to the 85 in the neck position.
            The fact that the 81 has less low-end than the 85, and more mids, makes it perfect for being the neck lead pickup. The reason I switched to 85b/81n was mainly because I thought the 85 had nice characteristics but it was too "fat/warm/muddy" for the neck pos.

I'm thinking that next time I'm putting EMG's in something, I'll probably go for 85b/60n, because I enjoy that single coil-like sound in the neck a lot! (think 1975 stringthru fender usa strat)
            ...plus it's my policy to keep my guitars a little different from each other.

- Rune.

Comment

I chose the EMG-89 for the neck position to compliment my EMG-85 in the bridge. For me, I wanted the versatility that the EMG-89 offers... EMG-85 in the humbucking mode, and then pull the push-pull volume pot to activate the EMG-SA in single coil mode. I personally don't find the EMG-85 humbucker mode in the neck position muddy at all, but that's how my ear hears it.

Best thing to do is buy the new EMGs that use quick-connect circuits and components... then you can swap out pickups quickly and easily, and thus you will be able to try out EVERYTHING that EMG has to offer you and select the best pickups and controls for you! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The first guitar I got with EMGs a couple years ago was the purple Dinky Reverse I bought from Greg Crowe. It had the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I liked it a lot!! The 85 wasn't muddy in the neck, but it was definitely darker/warmer. I tend to feel that the neck pup should be brighter and the bridge pup darker so that they balance out better. I never did switch those pups around and did sell it a few months back.
                The second guitar I got with EMGs was green Dinky Reverse off ebay with what the seller described as the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, and I was excited to try that combo. When I got it, I noticed the neck pup had a gray logo and not silver, so it was actually a 60. They sounded great!! I took them out and wound up selling that guitar, and now those pups reside in my black string-thru Dinky HX. The 85/60 is definitely my favorite combo!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I also put a chrome 25th anniversary 81 set in my mahogany Hamer. The 81 is definitely a nice neck pup, and it does sound very nice in the bridge as well, just a tad bit darker since the guitar is mahogany.
                In guitars that are not mahogany, I'd go with an 85 in the bridge and either an 81 or 60 in the neck, since I feel the 81 is a little bright in the bridge. Though, in a one-humbucker guitar, I'd probably go with just the 81.

Though, as NOTP mentioned, with the quick-connect cables, you can just swap them out easily and see what sounds best to you. You really can't go wrong with EMGs in any position... it's just a matter of personal preference!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rune The Axeman:
                  I'm thinking that next time I'm putting EMG's in something, I'll probably go for 85b/60n, because I enjoy that single coil-like sound in the neck a lot! (think 1975 stringthru fender usa strat)
                  - Rune.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed, I have a USA Rhoads with 60n/81b. I bougt this axe used amd the logo color is almost vanished, so I thought the axe has a single type EMG (humbucking housing) due to its single coil "strat" sound. It was until y changed the strings that I discovered it was a 60. Love this pup in the neck [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] .
                  I run this axe thru my SLO clone (did it myself) amp. Custom designed O.Trany. This amp has TONS OF GAIN (pre & power stages) and the 60 in the neck has a cutting clear sound for soloing, I love it.
                  To remark, I have to set Mid & Treb to 1 or 2 couse this amp has lots of 'em.
                  Reading this posts about the '85, I've decided to trade my 81 for an '85. Less Mids??? Never mind, my amp has TONS of them!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

hehe, sounds cool man! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                    BTW, nice thread resuscitation [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X