No announcement yet.

Active P'up's ?'s For DK2M.. Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the input so far! I haven't settled for sure on what to get yet but I have narrowed it down to a few options that I know I like.

It might have helped some if I bothered to mention what I'm playing through. DOH! Mainly use a Rocktron Prophesy II into a MB Stereo 2/50 (6L6's). Also use a V-Amp Pro in various ways to do a lot of noodling. VAP into the Mesa (rarely), VAP with headphones (often), VAP into ADA Microtube 200 mostly, sometimes direct into the powered mixer. I'm mainly concerned with the Prophesy II and MB though.

So far I'm leaning towards SD HMETs set or EMG 85 in the bridge w/not sure what in the neck. Never tried an 81 in the neck nor a 60. Great suggestion though Toe! I know I like the 85 in either position. Hmmmmm, maybe an 85 in the neck and an Hmet in the bridge or visa versa. A friggin SeyEMG. :ROTF: I wanna hear a 60 in an alder body. Got my curiosity up w/the 85/60 combo.
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I dont know, I like the 81 in the bridge position...only cause my guitar has a tone knob. if I did'nt have one, it would have to be a 85! With the 81, you can roll back the tone and it will sound a bit warmer.
      Sam

Comment

My old alder dark purple Dinky Reverse had the 81b/85n combo, and it was pretty cool, but it was also tuned down to D so the bridge didn't seem as bright. I also had a candy apple green Dinky Reverse with 85b/60n combo and really loved it! I no longer own either of those guitars, but the 85/60 combo came out and resides in my black poplar Dinky HX string-thru. I put a chrome 25th annivesary 81 set in my old Hamer, but I always had to turn the tone knob back a little on the bridge because it was too bright, and the body and neck were mahogany with a maple top. Now I've got one of the chrome 81s in the neck of my all mahogany LP Studio, with an 85 in the bridge, and it rules!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I purchased the SD LW HMETs set. I got a sweet deal on them. I was leaning towards the 85b/60n or 85b/81n if I went EMG. I may end up there before I'm done anyway. We'll see.

In a perfect world I would have wanted to do an A/B/C w/the HMETS, EMG, and the Blackouts. If I end up changing my mind on the SD HMETs later, no biggie. I'm not above swapping them out. But I'm pretty sure they will do fine........ for now.

Comment

the LiveWires will be fine...just get used to flipping to the neck pickup for cleans cuz there is no way youll get a clean on the bridge pickup!
            My metal band Lucian Scott
            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

SD LiveWire HMETs set installed. Had them in for a couple of days now. I like the Metal bridge pup sound better than the EMG 81. And I even managed to get some cleans out of it w/the Rocktron Prophesy II. It was as easy as turning off the preamp (one 12ax7 tube) and using only the effects from the factory presets. I was able to find quite a few somewhat clean and usable combos. But that's not why got it. That's just sort of a perk I guess. It definitely qualifies for my LAF (loud as f@#&) lust. I really like the neck pup a lot. It sounds amazing. But it does lack a little umph. But hey, no problem. I know where all the volume knobs are.

Running both pups together is almost useless though. The bridge pup stomps all over the neck pup. Maybe I'll do some investigating on ways to work on that without drilling any holes in the body. Or maybe I'm just pissin in the wind on that thought. Boosting the neck would be great even if it didn't come close to the bridge output. Even if they could be leveled I'm not sure they will mesh well, sound wise. If so, great. If not I'm still happy with them as is. These will do nicely..... unless I get a hard on for the Blackouts. The jury is still out on those. Too new to get enough reviews, much less hawk a pair installed close enough to get my hands on em.

Comment

Working...
              X