Seymour Duncan Invader - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour Duncan Invader - Opinions

I have an old Ibanez Star with an Invader in it. It has by far the most output of any passive pickup I've tried. Loads of bottom, and a blast for thrashy rhythm stuff. In that particular axe, there is a noticeable (and annoying) dropoff in the upper mids & highs. Not fun at all for soloing. After reading this, though, I may give it a try in my Model 6, since the J50BC hasn't exactly thrilled me. Not sure how it will get along with the midboost, though. Has anyone tried one of these with a midboost-equipped guitar? I'd be willing to bet that Mark has. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that Mark has.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] funny you should mention that!! Actually I put one in one of my model 4s with the active mid-boost system and really didn't care for it, way way too middy for me. Invaders are very misunderstood because they are advertised as a total shred machine but if you tinker with them you'll be surprised a the great tones you can get out of them. Just moving the pickup to or away from the strings by 1/8" makes a huge difference. Also using the tone control (if equipped) allows for many more sounds. You can bleed off some of the highs without turning the sound to mud. Also, as I said earlier, try a coil tap for a really heavy blues sound without too much twang. I dunno, I just luv 'em!!
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Anybody know how the output of the Invader compares to an EMG? My Charvel needs less teeth, and this looks good tone-wise.

Comment

I have a model 4 with on old school non-logo invader in the neck (pro installed before I bought it), and a newer invader in the bridge. I too found them great for solos, but muddy for rythmn stuff. Dropping it away from the strings helps, and I rarely use the mid boost.

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X