Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebony control cavity and tremolo covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burn View Post
    Question. Who seriously leaves there trem cavity covers on anyways? I usually take it off right away, I have a stack of them.....
    +1
    I also have all truss rod covers removed

on subject, dunno about ebony truss rod covers exactly, but wooden truss rod cover appear on some models from time to time. And wooden knobs as well.
    Because I don't say it
    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Hey

I have an update.

Rico reccomends spraying a clear coat over the plates, this will prevent dryness and hence, chipping and getting brittle. The other option will be to use lin seed oil from time to time, to keep the plates moist.

Now, how does that sound? Will this be good, like, it will make the ebony plates behave like metal or plastic? Of course in terms of looking good, not chipping/twisting or cracking?

Comment

So just the wood with clear coat, but no lamination (with wood or perhaps metal)?

Making truss rud covers and such out of wood is fine, since it's a relatively small piece of wood. But since a trem cavity cover is such a large and thin piece, making it out of wood is much more likely to give rise to many problems (all of which have been mentioned before)

From your other threads, you seem like someone who agonize over every little detail.... so for peace of mind, I would recommend agaisnt using wood for these covers.

But... I could be totally wrong, so if you really want the ebony covers, go for it, it's your custom order after all.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
          Hey

I have an update.

Rico reccomends spraying a clear coat over the plates, this will prevent dryness and hence, chipping and getting brittle. The other option will be to use lin seed oil from time to time, to keep the plates moist.

Now, how does that sound? Will this be good, like, it will make the ebony plates behave like metal or plastic? Of course in terms of looking good, not chipping/twisting or cracking?
          I have no idea about what you should do but, it's kinda sad & weird that only the cavity coverplates are causing you this much trouble
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

+1
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
            X