Floyd Rose Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyd Rose Problem

but then you can't clean your fretboard and buff your frets.

i always found that leaving the bar on during string changes makes things much easier.

use it to bring the bridge back forward so you can access the allen bolts.

it might seem like its a little stiff with the bar, if you have a lot of spring in back, but its really not. a piano's strings are under so much tension that they could suspend the weight of a midsize car on top of them without breaking. but, they could also literaly bi-sect you if one snapped. so with guitars, its really not that much tension. you just have to visualize the concept of the flyod rose ( a floating bridge or tremelo) balencing springs vs. strings on a knife edge pivot, picking too heavy will even cause it to go out of tune.

make sure you grab at the 12th fret and stretch your new strings out real good when you get them on there.

just read as much as you can about setups with floyds, cause your going to pay an arm and a leg for setup fees unless you figure it out yourself. and really its not that hard.

~JW
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You can do one of two things to clear the fretboard so that you can clean the board or polish your frets:

1.) Detune each string a little bit and then remove the Floyd from the guitar with the strings still attached to the bridge and lift it to the side so that it's out of the way while you do your business.

or

2.) Put a 9V battery or wooden block wrapped in electrical tape under the bridge to keep it level while you remove all the strings and do your business.

Comment

I thought this thread was about floyd problems this dude was having changing strings not cleaning the fretboard and fret polishing. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

well, that's the magic of conversation for ya.

there's a great great great tool called a tremolok; sadly, they're not made anymore, but it's a flat piece of nylon with foam padding on the bottom of it. slip it under the set screws, and it will hold the floyd in place while you work. check ebay, they come up from time to time...

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
            there's a great great great tool called a tremolok; sadly, they're not made anymore, but it's a flat piece of nylon with foam padding on the bottom of it. slip it under the set screws, and it will hold the floyd in place while you work.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got one of those many, many years ago and still use it every once in awhile. I got used to taking all the strings off of my Floyd before that and don't have a problem with it, but the Tremolok definitely is really great for anyone that finds Floyds to be a hassle. The only thing that pissed me off about it is it left a couple little dents in the body of an old Yamaha RGZ I had, from the pressure of the Floyd pushing on it. It's never done that to any other guitar I've ever tried it on.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X