Tone Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tone Wood

Stephanslr has been reading too many books! (or this forum!!) The differences in tone he speaks of are correct, but they are so subtle the average ear will never know the difference. If you want to make the biggest perceivable difference in the sound of any electric guitar fuck around with different pickups and amps, not wood!
    Ane BTW, he spoke of "just changing fingerboards" like they're just a bolt-on modification or something! geez!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You are probably right mm, the differences may be subtle and I was in no way suggesting one changes a neck to change tone.

This is something that is done before one buys a guitar and has the luxury of choosing different types of neck available.

Somebody asked about different tones resulting from different woods, all I was doing was describing the different tones associated with the different types of fretboard woods, I wasn't saying that to change your tone go change your fretboard.

If the differences are unnoticable to the human ear then manufacturers would take advantage of costs and only produce the cheapest of the necks, I know that some models of guitar only come in Rosewood necks.

As for exposing sloppy playing it is similar to, but not the same as, the way some people get away with sloppy playing by using more distortion though the difference in neck doesn't have that great an effect. The differences are very subtle. I do know that many people prefer Rosewood over Maple for the warmth.

s

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
        oops...yeah FIR! (fur is good too!)
        Zeeg, are you standing in for Ron today? Nice damn job! He'll be proud.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I see so many opportunities, but I don't want to step on Ron's toes. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
        X