EMG on 18 volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG on 18 volts

I definitely agree with the idea that some people might notice a difference with something like this, while others wouldn't. Noticing differences in changes like that could depend on hearing, the amp setup, the guitar, how loud and where and what you play etc etc. Different people in different situations are more or less likely to hear any actual difference in the sound.

It's just like some people say they can tell the differnce in sound between using different brands or types of cables in their setup. Or...ehh...that one big name guy whose name I can't recall right now, who demands his pedals get one specific brand of battery, or whatever. On the other hand, I've heard people say they can't tell much difference in changing their tube types, while any tube change in their amp is extremely obvious to other people.

It's based on perception, whether or not that perception is true, or itself based simply on expectations. In other words, sometimes you wanna hear a difference so badly, you think you do. Like when sometimes it's possible to be so excited over a new gizmo, you wanna like it so badly, you think you do at first, but a few days later you realize...ehh...yaknow, this isn't so wonderful after all hehehe.

As always, in the end, the only way each specific person is going to know what difference, if any, and how much, they might perceive, is to try it themselves in their own specific situation.

Stu

Comment

Going back to the one battery vs. multiple batteries, I think it is logical that there must be some influence on the sound, as the electrical conditions change. I mean, if we compare the battery to an engine and a pickup to a load: the engine is capable of hauling two loads at the same speed as one, but the amount of work it has to do that is bigger (not necessarily twice) than what it has to do with just one load. That's how I see it. Do you guys think it is a relevant comparison? I think I may end up using separate batteries for each pickup instead of going 18 volts...

Comment

Agreed, but I did note a sort of delay in the SA's response time when using only one battery - yes, a brand new one - sort of like I was in another part of the house when playing (but I was only a 6 foot headphone cable away from the mixer [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
        Once I put the SAs on their own battery, the "delay" was no longer there. It caught me by surprise, actually, so I was in no way already formulating such a scenario in my head (as Stu alludes to). Had I been thinking in the aforementioned terms of load and such, then maybe I would have grounds to suspect it was "all in my head", but since I was not conciously thinking "oh yeah, when I add loads (pickups) to the battery it's gonna result in reduced output" or such.

And I'm not using a "high end" amp - ADA MP-1 into a Digitech TSR-12 into an Akai DPS-12 recorder with a pair of Sony headphones from Wal-Mart.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc's example proves to me that there is a connection between EMGs' performance and the configuration of the system. I don't want to talk myself into hearing something that's not there. That's why I started this thread. I wonder is there are any other opinions out there?

Comment

I've used 18 volt EMG setups for years. It's not a mega difference, but somewhat noticeable.

I've always looked for those small improvements, and that's one of them. Seems to give a bit more headroom for transients, they get just a bit more "edge" and I perceive a slight bit of more general vitality or "aliveness" in the sound. Maybe that's just somewhat psychological, just knowing it's more power etc, arrrr!!

You want real noticeable, get the EMP PA-2 preamp, it is a great thing to slam the front end of a tube amp with. It will overload solid state or DSP stuff though.

Comment

Ohhhh Okaaaayyyy now I get it - you guys are talking about running ONE pickup off TWO batteries, right? Like for single-hum shredder guitars? Or running the batteries in series, not the pickups?

Anyhoo, I don't know about all that, but having one 9v on each pickup sounds pretty good (or at least one battery dedicated to the bridge and one running two singles) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X