No announcement yet.

A word of caution and a cry for help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A word of caution and a cry for help!

by Newc: Allparts has the market on weak metal - I wound up stripping the head of the rear-mount screw, and now it's stuck in the hole as well
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">C'mon Newc, AllParts doesn't manufacture their own hardware, it's made by the same people that make screws and fasteners for a hundred different "brand names". Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them or anything and I get no kickbacks on any of their products that I sell, but I've never had any problems with any of their stuff.
    The problem is that when you're dealing with small metal parts sometimes you have to use a little finesse. If you try to drive a 1/4-20 bolt in with an impact wrench it's probably gonna break! Was it the bolts fault?....nope.
    I could go on about this for days but my opinion is that if you don't use the proper tools and techniques most projects are liable to turn out like shit. Do you cut fret slots with a hacksaw???...NOPE. Do you hammer in new frets with a 1 lb. hammer??...NOPE. etc etc etc....
    Anyway, I like ya bro, and please don't take this personally, but if you have that many problems installing a simple Floyd nut why don't you ask for some advice from us more experienced folks before you start fucking everything up? In this case, don't blame it on the parts bro, just admit that you didn't know what the fuck you were doing! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I'm not trying to be an asshole to ya bro, but if you need help all ya gotta do is ask.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Somehow I think I told Newc the same thing...just a little nicer [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I know Dave, I wish I had your PR skills! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

MM doesn't play well with others [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, I admit, I was a tad hasty in blaming Allparts' parts. Somehow I forgot that maple is more dense than alder, poplar, and mahogany (all of which I've driven pickup ring screws into using only elbow grease and a screwdriver).
            I guess it was a case of being in too much of a hurry to get it all together before going to work [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, sorry if I gave anyone the wrong idea about buying from Mark - it's not the parts that are bunk, it's the method I used [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

To quote Launcelot from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
            "Sorry! Sorry everyone, sorry, I just get carried away sometimes"
            [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i've had a few of those days too, but you always have to know when to put the tools down.

hey shawn, do you have a drill press? lemm eknow if you need help with the neck, a buddy of mine has one, and he's not too far from you. we could fix it up no prob.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ok, so I drilled around the screws and now they're all out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I tried drilling out the rear-mount screw but only succeeded in tearing the head off it of [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                And I broke my teeny-tiny bit [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So then once I had the screws out I just drilled out the holes with an 11/64" bit and added my countersink holes in the back. The alignment of the screws is only off a hair [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                It's enough to compensate for, though I may as well just punch the holes out to 1/2" and dowel them (since I already have a 1/2" dowel stick). I also got wood putty to fill the gaps with [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help and sympathy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Hell Newc, I've probably screwed up more guitars than you have in the past. Nowadays when I run into something that I'm not sure how to do I lay down the tools and start emailing someone who does! Just a few days ago I was totally stumped on a neck problem so instead of taking a chance on fucking it up I emailed Jim Shine because I knew he had more experience in that area. He shot me an idea and it worked! I could have ruined a very nice SD neck if I'd kept screwing with it. I've been working on guitars for over 25 years and I still learn something new every day! You'll look back on this as a great experience bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually I'll forget the whole thing in a week or two and next time I run across this problem I won't remember a damn thing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Ah yes...the 'ol CRS syndrome. I suffer from that too!

Comment

A little tip I learned ... to help the screw go in easier(less chance of stripping the head) and also from keeping the wood from splitting is to coat the threads of the screw with beeswax,it doesn't stain the wood or fuck up the screw,also I'll start the screw by hand then take it home with a power drill (low setting for small screws,higher for longer screws)with a bit thats as exact of a fit as possible for the head of the screw.

Comment

If you don't mind my monday morning quearterbacking, here's what I do: I have done a few of these myself and while seemingly easy, it is actually quite complex. I like to actually string up the guitar, so that you will ensure proper string alignment. You can't just center up the locking clamp, because you can bet that now either your high or low E string will be too close to the edge of the fretboard. I then pre-drill a pilot hole, completely. Use a bit of tape to mark off the proper depth on your drill bit and drill out the pilot hole completely. I too, also use a bit of wax (plain chapstick works fine) to 'lube' up the screws. I have never actually broken any, but the phillips heads are quite prone to stripping out. Thats all there is to it! Also having the guitar strung up acts as a natural clamp for the locking nut. This also greatly aids in placing the string retainer bar, if you are using one. I taught myself all of this using good old trial and error, and I made a few gaffs on a couple of pricey necks! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                            Ah yes...the 'ol CRS syndrome. I suffer from that too!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup - Can't Remember Shit [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for waxing the screws - you can also drag them over (or push them into) a bar of bath soap.

I'm going to enlarge the holes to 1/2" and dowel them. I would try to find a dowel to match the current hole, but I kinda had to waller it out with the drill to get it smooth [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey, what do you expect from a Mad Scientist? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dr Newcenstein

Comment

Two problems with soap though,over time it can discolor the wood,but worst of all it can destroy the screw.

Comment

Now how the hell can soap destroy a screw??? Thinking back on all the screwing I've done the one thing I can think of that I was the most thankful for was that they bathed and used soap! The use of soap does nothing but improve the whole screwing experience in my opinion! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X