BEWARE !...EVIL CONTACT CLEANER!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BEWARE !...EVIL CONTACT CLEANER!!

Ken: Actually, the swirl finishes are all done with marbelizers. Throw on the bottom black coat, then spray it with the marbelizer. Cover it with saran wrap, twist, and lift. Instant swirl. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe you should strip all the paint off...I'm sure a natural Warrior would look cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
        Ken: Actually, the swirl finishes are all done with marbelizers. Throw on the bottom black coat, then spray it with the marbelizer. Cover it with saran wrap, twist, and lift. Instant swirl. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That makes sense....the "Marblizer pattern" is just that then...just another pattern. Saran wrap huh? So the silver/black mix is called the "Marblizer"?

Twister...This one really didn't have any dings or visible chips in the paint before this happened. When I got this Warrior, it was near mint with one tiny little ding on the top wing.
        Don't quite know how to explain it other than the contact cleaner created an air pocket somewhere and it seeped in an spread like a cancer.

Comment

That isn't the correct cleaner to use. I learned this the hard way as well. We had a Rhodes (yes, its spelled right) organ that came in and needed all of the keys cleaned, so I went out and bought some contact cleaner/lubricant from an electronics wholesaler. It melted all of the keys to the triggers! You have to find the type that lists right on the can it is safe on all plastics.

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the tip. However I'm pretty sure the stuff I used WAS in fact, plastic-safe.

What I THINK happened, was the rapid freezing of the cleaner aerosol created the air pocket in the finish, and the "cancer" just spread from there as the cleaner seeped into the air pocket. This didn't happen overnight BTW...I cleaned the controls back in June or July, and just noticed this happening about 2 weeks ago!

~Ken

Comment

hey ive used that contact cleaner on a bunch of guitars a few months back. the yearly cleaing & setup, should I go back & clean all the control cavities & stuff. & what should I use to clean them with. ide be more than mad if that happened to my old BCRichs.
              KEN how is the base coat stuff, since my guitar are natural would this cause the finish to lift from the wood or do u think it just caused the finishes to seperate from each other

Comment

Rapid freezing? My contact cleaner doesn't do that. The only freezing I know of was from cans of compressed air (used for cleaning some electronics).

Comment

Some electrical contact cleaners are trichloroethane based and they will melt some types of plastics (and most guitar finishes are basically plastics), that's probably what you were using. Check the label.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                    Rapid freezing? My contact cleaner doesn't do that. The only freezing I know of was from cans of compressed air (used for cleaning some electronics).
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jim...yep...rapid freezing...only for a second. The aerosol freezes on contact, and then as the air hits it, it warms up rapidly.
                    I know what you mean about the compressed air though. It's gotta be this crappy Radio Shack cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                      KEN how is the base coat stuff, since my guitar are natural would this cause the finish to lift from the wood or do u think it just caused the finishes to seperate from each other
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would imagine this would cause any clear coat to seperate from any base (even natural wood)

It does have something to do with the clearcoat itself...either rapid expansion or shrinkage of the wood underneath. But once that air pocket starts, it spreads like cancer. There's still pieces of finish flaking off the Warrior.

Comment

Working...
                      X