No announcement yet.

Need help wiring an EMG stereo jack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 3 tab stereo socket and just one EMG pickup in the guitar with a vol and tone knob. I am following the figure 1 in MountainDog's link.

Here's the problem... when I insert the guitar cable all the way in, there is dead silence. However, when I pull it out one step, there is sound, but it does not sound like an emg's. It sounds more like a passive pickup's sound. I have a SLSMG with stock emg's and when I compare this (dk2) guitar's pickup o/p, it seems like its only pushing out 1/2 its usual capacity.
    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
      I know. the solder that I have sucks...hard to get it slick. Maybe I should get a new one. I'm using 25W iron btw.
      25 watt? get a better iron! and get solder that isnt too thick. ive seen people with like 1/8th inch solder trying to solder wires and they cant get it to melt or anything and i :ROTF:

its really pretty easy with the right tools. good luck!
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
        I have a 3 tab stereo socket and just one EMG pickup in the guitar with a vol and tone knob. I am following the figure 1 in MountainDog's link.

Here's the problem... when I insert the guitar cable all the way in, there is dead silence. However, when I pull it out one step, there is sound, but it does not sound like an emg's. It sounds more like a passive pickup's sound. I have a SLSMG with stock emg's and when I compare this (dk2) guitar's pickup o/p, it seems like its only pushing out 1/2 its usual capacity.
        Are you sure you connected the 3 wires (ground, battery black, and hot) correctly to the jack?

From the EMG link, the ground coming off the tone pot needs to go to the tab of the jack that engages the base/body of the plug. The pickup hot lead (white wire) need to go to the tab of the jack that is connected to the longest prong that hits the tip of the plug. The battery black wire needs to go to the tab of the jack that has the shorter prong that hits the middle of the plug shaft.

Comment

well, I just closed up the soldering shop, I'll check tomorrow, but whatever you are saying, is it different from your post #5? I followed EXACTLY your wiring instructions and it matched with the one on the emg website.
          just to be sure, I reversed the two connections that lead to the two main prongs, but to no avail. if i insert the cable all the way in, there is no sound even now.
          Sam

Comment

Yes, my post #5 was the same instructions.

Did you use the jack as supplied from EMG? Sometimes I've seen jacks and/or plugs that when you put them all the way in, the plug goes too far, so that the tip prong hits the plug both on the tip portion AND the shaft portion, which would just 'short' out everything and you'd get no sound.

Comment

oh! Maybe you are right! The stereo jack does look a little bigger than the ones in emg pictures. Yes, when I shove the cable in, both the tip and shaft come in contact.

EDIT: maybe I can bend one of the prongs so that both come in contact with the guitar cable's tip.
              Last edited by emperor_black; 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM.
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                Yes, my post #5 was the same instructions.

Did you use the jack as supplied from EMG? Sometimes I've seen jacks and/or plugs that when you put them all the way in, the plug goes too far, so that the tip prong hits the plug both on the tip portion AND the shaft portion, which would just 'short' out everything and you'd get no sound.
                Well, you were right...as always. It was the jack. I "shortened" the long prong and now it works like a charm. Thanks a million.

this is my first alder bodied guitar with emg. The result of a emg 81 in this dinky is much different when compared to a slsmg's. The slsmg's sound is much thicker and more pronounced. is the difference to be expected?
                Sam

Comment

oh! Maybe you are right! The stereo jack does look a little bigger than the ones in emg pictures. Yes, when I shove the cable in, both the tip and shaft come in contact.

EDIT: maybe I can bend one of the prongs so that both come in contact with the guitar cable's tip.
                  Now that I think about it, Sam, I did have that same problem after EMGs were installed in my Les Paul, and I did bend one of the prongs a little. Glad things have worked out. If you need that extra volume pot, let me know.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's ok, I used another vol pot. Its all cool!! The emg 85 you sent rocks!! Appreciate the offer though Joe.
                    Sam

Comment

The result of a emg 81 in this dinky is much different when compared to a slsmg's. The slsmg's sound is much thicker and more pronounced. is the difference to be expected?
                      Quoted for the "EMGs make all guitars sound the saaaaame!"-crowd.

I would say yes, with different woods and different constructions, you will get a difference in sound. The SLSMG is all mahogany, and should definitely have a darker sound compared to the dinky.

To get more growl out of the dinky, I would recommend throwing away the 81 and putting in an EMG-85 instead. It should make a huge difference.

Comment

Yes, there is definitely a huge difference between the slsmg's sound and the dk2's. At first I did not like the "new" sound. But after a few listens I started liking it. It feels much tighter and precise than the slsmg's. The slsmg's sound feels compressed and bassier. So "chuga chuga" ing with the slsmg and "solo" ing with the dk2 would be the way to go Replacing the 81 with Joe's 85 is already on the agenda.
                        Sam

Comment

one more question MountainDog (sorry, I dont know your name. lol)... even though I have bent the tall prong, I dont think its quite right yet. Even though most of the time there is clear sound thru the emg's, occassionally, it shorts out and I have to wiggle the cable plug and its fine again. Will these occassional shorting harm the emg pup?
                          Sam

Comment

You should probably try tweaking the prong again...also make sure the prong doesn't get more tweaked when you install it back into the guitar body (I've seen it occassionally where the the prongs can get pushed on by the wood around the input jack).

The cutting out won't hurt the EMG.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                              You should probably try tweaking the prong again...also make sure the prong doesn't get more tweaked when you install it back into the guitar body (I've seen it occassionally where the the prongs can get pushed on by the wood around the input jack).

The cutting out won't hurt the EMG.
                              yes, I made sure the prongs dont touch the guitar body. I will re-tweak the prongs. Thanks.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X