new project w/pix suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new project w/pix suggestions please

mmmm all that test piece is missing is a tunomatic, an EMG and an old maple board Model neck..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
      mmmm all that test piece is missing is a tunomatic, an EMG and an old maple board Model neck..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't start givin' me ideas! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

More time over the weekend allowed me to put on about 5-6 coats of sealer :

I got some wicked runs in the back though so there goes even more time to fix those [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The pic makes it look like it has a pinkish tint to it but rest assured it's really a "manly" purple [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Tragedy decided to really screw over the guitar this week [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
          With the exception of some runs on the back the first few coats of sealer went on without a problem.Then a couple of days later I noticed some cracks forming,so I sanded them back and shot some more sealer on.Everything looked good for the last couple of days,but when I looked at it tonight :

Time to sand it back all the way and start over on the back of the guitar [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
          But ...since I had it down I couldn't resist :

So far so good on the top,no cracks at all,and it's nice and level,I was hoping to start the clear coats this weekend,but that won't happen for a couple of weeks now,damn the luck [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn! what caused that?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
              Damn! what caused that?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the tape did,I didn't take it off fast enough so when it dried the tape shrank with the temperature and it cracked everywhere.I could see where the lines of the crack went into the tape itself.

I tried sanding down just the sealer to see if I could get the cracks out without repainting,but it's looking rather grim at this point [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

And today I found some very faint cracks on the front,but I think I got to them in time but we'll see,if they haven't got worse by the weekend all should be well.

Comment

Been awhile since I updated the progress on this longer-than-expected-time-consuming project so here goes :

I sanded the back all the way down to bare wood then resealed and repainted it.Those damn cracks went all the way to the wood [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I've put about 6-7 cans of nitro so far and level sanded 3 times up to the point of these pics.It's hard to get a decent pic but ironically enough in this crappy one the color is the most like what it really is:

Close-ups make it look pinkish :

So more of the same,few more coats,another level sand or two,some more coats...etc... it's getting there and the weather has been real nice for the last couple of months all I need is a couple of more nice weekends then it's drying time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If I'm lucky maybe I can give this to myself for Christmas [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Just lovely, really... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah,I did end up getting a different neck for this one from a Dk-2. I think it'll look nicer with a bound neck.I'm saving the Kelly neck for another project body I have lying around.

I'm still undecided on which hardware to use,I originally planned to use all black,but seeing pics of gold harware on purple guitars is making me [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey,has anyone used those hand-held buffers to buff out a guitar? If so,do they work better than the drill attachments,especially where burn through is concerned?

Comment

awesome flametop. awesome.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

just noticed -- you didn't strip the whole body before starting your paint job? i had problems with paint not adhering to the surface doing that.... wasted lots of paint, stripped it down, and i'll have to start it over again =(
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            just noticed -- you didn't strip the whole body before starting your paint job? i had problems with paint not adhering to the surface doing that.... wasted lots of paint, stripped it down, and i'll have to start it over again =(

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't and it was a lesson learned,as the paints did not play nice together [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

man if you lick it, does it taste like grapes?

Comment

nice job man!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X