Problem with "d" string.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with "d" string.

Ace you are right a "false" edge needs to be checked for.The nut is a cast part and may not have been finished properly.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey thanks for the help, your using some funny words that I dont think I understand.

So we are thinking its a problem with the nut yes? Any idea on warranty cover for something like this? Its really driving me mad, I know its there now and cant hit it coz it really stands out. So im rearranging my fingers to play every other D other then an open one!

Comment

Weird thing is, I have SEVERAL guitars that have that problem on the unwound G string. Like it doesn't ring true when plucked open, and does when fretted.

I've setup guitars for 20+ years and run into it a bit actually.

I don't see anything wrong with the nuts and it doesn't seem to hitting the first fret either. I've looked at it under magnification even. I'll check that measurement Ace.

I've heard from local "techs" this is a common problem, but they won't explain. Seems I should be able to figure this as it's likely just physically obvious .

[ November 09, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

CM: What you're most likely running into there is a temper issue. G strings rarely ring true when open, or at the first couple of frets. If the intonation is bad, or the nut is off just a little bit, it can get quite nasty sounding.

Ace: I actually worked on a guitar that had the bridge problem I described, but it only rang weird when open. Fretted notes were just fine. You never know, but I am in agreement that this is most likely a nut problem.

Jeremy: AFAIK, the warranty only covers North American buyers. It might have changed since the last time I read a waranty card though. Get in touch with your local Jackson dealer and they should help you out. If not, give Jackson a call directly and they WILL be able to help you.

Comment

Thanx for the input man. I'll strobe them again and make sure it's as good as it can be.

Comment

The crappy thing is that it can't be fixed on some guitars. The 12-tone Western musical scale doesn't lend itself well to being in tune on a fretted instrument, and slight changes in nut placement or scale length can lead to horrible overtones that sound like buzzing. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X