No announcement yet.

9's or 10's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been playing 9s in standard tuning for twentyfive-ish years. Not going to change now.

Comment

I use a weird combo of 9's for the E,A,D and 10's for the G,B,E 440 tuned. I really like this as I find more control with the 10's when I'm soloing.

Comment

I'm trying to break some 10's into the lineup but it's not clicking for me yet.
        9's are my confort zone in feel and tone.
        I've kept one of my V's in 8's since the 80's so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.The last time I picked a few packs up they were busting my balls saying "These must be for your girlfriend"
        My Gear

Comment

10-46 Carvin/GHS Boomers (E or Eb tuning).
          11-48 Ernie Ball Power Slinky (Eb or D).
          11-50 DR Hi-Beam (D).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I get a lot more fret buzz with 9s. That's my biggest complaint. I guess it depends on the guitar, but this is the same problem on all four of my current ones. No buzz with 10s. But I get buzz with 9s. And yes I'm adjusting the truss rod accordingly.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM.
              Just a guitar player...

Comment

I switched from 9's to 10's when I started rehearsing and gigging regularly and the 10's do much better for me. with the 9's I used to have strings bending in certain chords/fingerings when I did not want them to bend, and it threw off those chords. 10's don't bend all over like that, you have more control.

as for stamina, I do 4 hour gigs with 10's and have no problem. just practice w/ the 10's (or 11/12s like someone suggested) and you will build up your hand strength.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

i've only used 9's except for another guitar that had really thick guage strings and down tuned to A.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Why not 9.5's?

http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetai...D=1&Class=AABA

Comment

GHS Boomers 10-46 since the mid 80's. I tune to E and Eb
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I started with 10-46 in the mid '80s, too. I tried 9s a couple times, but they feel like spider webs since they're so thin, and they seem to break too easily for me.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarWizard View Post
                          I use a weird combo of 9's for the E,A,D and 10's for the G,B,E 440 tuned. I really like this as I find more control with the 10's when I'm soloing.
                          10, 13, 17, 24, 32, 42? That *is* an interesting combination.

Comment

I play 4 hour gigs just about every other weekend and we practice once a week. Other than that I have a business to run and don't always have the luxury of good, solid, uninterrupted daily practicing. Besides, wifey makes me do lots of shit around the house the minute I pick up a guitar anyway.
                            Just shoot me now.
                            Strat God Music
                            http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

I dont really pay much attention. I guess I prefer 10's. To me, 9's feel too thin. I finally cleaned out all my old strings. I had gobs of 9's and 10's. I do prefer 10-46.
                              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I guess there are really three solutions that make sense.
                                I have chosen 9-46 and like it.
                                You could practice on 11s or higher and "play" on 10s
                                or use 10s and tune down

I think these are your only choces.
                                Are the 'bees' on the high strings/solos, chords, or rythm?
                                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                                X