Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap pups that suprise with great sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Ibanez guys hate those INF1&2 and swap them with Dimarzios as soon as they can but i think they sound great. The V2 i have in my old S is awesome too.
    I want to buy a pair of Rockfield pickups for $49 new. The sound clips on the SWC sound amazing and so did the set in the Michael Kelly guitar i tried out once.

Comment

Cheap pups that suprise with great sound!

> I've always liked the Carvin M22SD. Last I saw,they were like 50 bucks. Tommy D.
      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        I like the GFS selection.
        +1
        Good deals with:
        Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Those zebras in the stock OLP Axis clones don't sound too shabby.

Comment

I just got a pair of dragonfire distortion pickups and am really liking them.

Comment

I personally LOVE PMC pickups.
              I got a set of the Alnico's for $49.99.
              They sound just like the Seymour Alnico 2's, Slash's signature pickup.
              Just a lot cheaper.
              http://pmcpickups.com/

Comment

I have 2 very similar equipped "Strats," one of them a Fender and one a Charvel Model 1a (both have a single hum only, on a pick guard.) I have a DiMarzio Super Dist in the Fender and I temporarily put in a Duncan "Detonator" in the Charvel. I have to say they both sound great, the Detonator actually sounds just like the DiMarzio. I'm keeping it in there for now.

I remember reading that the Duncan Designed "Detonator" is actually made overseas to Duncan Distortion specs. I have to say I agree, they sound very similar. I can't see spending the extra cash now to replace it because it sounds that good!
                Guitars:
                Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                1988 Model 2,
                Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                RR3
                Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

Here is how to insure that you get the best sounding pickups you ever heard. GUARANTEED!!!!!

Walk into a local GC and ask for a Dimarzio or a Duncan. They usually sell for around $99.00 for the good ones. Offer the sales person $150.00 for it. Make sure you offer at least $50.00 more than the sale price. $200.00 will even make it better. $300.00... and you will have a boutique pickup and tone NIRVANA. Remember kiddies... you get what you pay for.

Ah...how true.
                  And remember to offer $100 for a $50 cable, or the $300($99 pickups) will sound like $10($50 pickups)!
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember reading that the Duncan Designed "Detonator" is actually made overseas to Duncan Distortion specs. I have to say I agree, they sound very similar. I can't see spending the extra cash now to replace it because it sounds that good!
                    detonator- is an invader and the buckshot is the distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post

I thought I read in the past that both the Buckshot AND the Detonator were made to the Duncan Distortion specs, but I might be wrong.
                      Last edited by jrnic; 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM.
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Yep

I had a Kramer Striker 300 in '88 that had a very strange humbucker - no matter what guitar I put it in, it got a very nice "Brown Sound" - even through my BabyGorilla and 12-pedal setup

A friend of mine with a JCM800 head was even impressed with the tone.
                        Unfortunately, the pickup had roughly 1/4" leads on it, and I had patched it with thicker wires, so that may have influenced the tone.

Sadly, the pickup went away some time ago - wish I had it back

I believe they came stock with a duncan JB which is why you liked it so much!

lets see great cheap pups???
                        i will say used dimarzios(all) since i get these for $25-$40 used they get my vote as best cheap pups
                        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          close
                          the dentonator is based on the invader but unlike the original nvader it does not have 3 small ceramic bar magnets but one regular ceramic but still a great sounding pup
                          buckshot is a cool pup in that it is wound the same the distortion wind but it uses a smaller ceramic magnet than The Duncan distortion
                          it is like a DD lite
                          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Tesla's Plasma II set is pretty nice, and only like fifty bucks per pickup. Alnico-V, but very hot like a ceramic. Up there with the Tone Zone for output, plus it has a matching neck model. Gold or chrome covers, which it's sometimes hard to find covered pickups that are hot enough.
                            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

HR-101b

For me the biggest surprise was the Duncan Performer Scorcher (HR-101b) that I have in my DK-2...

I picked it up at a Guitar Center for real cheap, and now I prefer it to my Hot Rails pickups! Awesome.
                              - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

The cheapo Korean-made EMG-HZ's that came in my Douglas LP copy sounded good if you like hot pickups. I only took them out because I like more "vintage" output pickups.

Comment

Working...
                                X