Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap pups that suprise with great sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rail humbuckers on my old Dean EVO Phantom were fantastic. Very similar in tone (in mahogany) to the DiMarzio PAF Pro. Best no-name pickups I've ever played.

Some of the Kent Armstrongs in the `90s Jacksons were great too. I can get a dead-on Slayer sound through the JP-10 bridge `bucker in my SL2, and the neck JVA-1 on my old AT2T had the best clean tone I have ever heard from a humbucker.
    sigpic

Comment

Cheap pups that suprise with great sound!

> I always liked the tone of the Carvin M22SD,and they were 45 bucks when I bought some last. I really like the adjustable poles too,lets me set them to match the radius of the bridge so I get a better bite on the D and G strings,without losing output on bends. Kinda like a Dimebucker with a raised rail. Tommy D.
      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

+3 on the GFS´s.

I tend to believe there´s a time and place for just about anything. An Ibanez V8 (the V7 is the neck version, right?) ended up being the best pickup in the world for my buddy´s Peavey Vandenberg, eliminating about fifteen different "name" pickups in the process even though it sounded bad in the Ibanez it once came out of. Go figure!

Comment

For good cheap bridge pups, the Duncan Designed HB-102B, and Ibanez V-2 are both pretty damned decent. The V-2 is my favorite of the two though.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

GFS lil puncher tele (neck), crunchy PAF, dream180 (neck). Ibanez (Dimarzio design MIJ ??)v1,v2, v8, inf1&2, BillLawrenceUSA xl500, Dillion Avalanche (johnson?)and a few no names.

Don't like the Jackson j80c tho. Sound like ass when palm muting.

Comment

Used pickups. They surprise with great sound and go cheaper then new ones.

Comment

Gotta say the Ibanez V7 & V8 pups on the RG 570's are f%$#in' great !!! love 'em !!! Check 'em out, you can have some cheap on Ebay or the like.

Comment

I have a strat with a dimarzio class of 59 and two vintage fender pups.
                  I recently put a squire signiture pup in the midle position of a CX291(Sd hot rails at bridge) It sounds loads better than the more expensive pups on the strat

Comment

Duncan Designed HB-103B. Love that pickup. My SC1 Surfcaster had it and my
                    DX6 does too. Sounds like a Duncan Distortion with an edge.
                    RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                    CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                    Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                    Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

I had an Ibanez Talman (a mercy purchase from a friend who needed money) which had 3 lipstick tube single coil p/u's. They had the most amazing clean to slightly distorted sound. Think SRV type tone. If the neck on that guitar wasn't so thin I would have held onto it.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                        Kramer Quad-rail pickups are awesome.
                        what guitars did you try them in? Had them in my bolt-ons and they didn't really shine there, pretty muddy (compared to the DiM dual tone that recently went into my other bolt-on). But I seem to recall them sounding better in a neck-through with the licensed floyd swapped for an OFR...
                        I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

Side note DiMarzio makes The V series and USA IBZ pickups for Ibanez.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

IIRC, that's true for the Dimarzio-Ibz, but not for the V series.

Comment

the J50bc is quite impressive in an alder body, even without the preamp.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by spencer4hire View Post
                                Duncan Designed HB-103B.
                                +1
                                2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                                2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                                2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                                2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                                2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                                2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                                2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                                2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                                2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                                1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                                1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Working...
                                X