Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners! They work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Planet Waves web site:

Available in Chrome, Black and gold finishes
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have had a set of these on my King V Pro since April, and they are great. The auto trim feature is unique and I like it a lot. They are a perfect replacement fit for a stock Jackson tuner, the tuning ratio is nice and tight, and the 54 gague string fits thru it with ease.....I've yet to try anything thicker but do use the Zakk Wylde 70s on my drop A guitar. I'll let you know if it fits when I install them on my Warrior.
      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
        ...but do use the Zakk Wylde 70s on my drop A guitar. I'll let you know if it fits when I install them on my Warrior.
        Ouch!!! 70!!!

I use 54 on that guitar for a DropB flat tuning... That 70 must feel like a bass string!
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          Ouch!!! 70!!!

I use 54 on that guitar for a DropB flat tuning... That 70 must feel like a bass string!
          LOL it does feel a little like a bass string, but with the short scale guitar tuned so low, believe me it is necessary to keep it from sounding super sloppy. It's not too hard to get used to because even at 70 it's not all that tight when it's tuned up.
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I have them on a Charvel Model 1. They work great and hold tune very well
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

So these are also locking tuners, right??
              I love admins!

Comment

Yep, they're fully locking. I just put a set on my Ovation acoustic, and they work great - no more long winds! So well, in fact, that I ordered a set for my Washburn 7 string.
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Glad that the retrofit question has been answered. I used Wilkinson EZ-LOKs on a Dinky with good results, but they still require winding the string a couple times. If the PWs have a better ratio than Sperzels (12:1 or 13:1 I think), then maybe I'll try them next time around.
                  sigpic

Comment

The PWs are 18:1. Very smooth. I'm actually giving serious thought to replacing the Sperzels on my Soloist 7 with them.
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Looks great, but i still prefer sperzels. Almost every manufacture use sperzel as locking tuners. Imo cuting are awesome feature, but dont nuff to change your sperzels.

Comment

I have a few set of those. They're very cool. On occasion they may fail to cut the Hi "E" on a skinny .09.... but it's partially cut and just bending it back and forth a little will pop it off.

I *hate* seeing lazy players that dont have some cutters to trim off the excess string.... It looks crap. With these, there is no extra step, they're locking, and the string is cut while tuning up. What's not to like? Except the "chrome" has a lot of black on it... and they're not lightweight tuners if neckdive is already a problem for you.

Comment

Wonder what the lifespan on the cutting part is... I mean, they gotta wear out sooner or later right?
                          - Adam

Comment

I put them in my new Warmoth neck, best tuners out there IMO!
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Just put a set on my Stars Warrior. The peg head holes had some trash in them that had to be cleaned out. Some kind of white pasty flaky stuff. Some easy scraping and the PW tuners went right in, no problems.
                              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                              X